Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Tapering From Klonopin In 5 Days From Nearly 9 Years Of Use

[JA...]

This is my tapering schedule that was prescribed to me once I start:

From 1mg a day to 50% of that for 14 days and then 25% for another 14 days For a total of 28 day taper.

I was told that was too short of a taper elsewhere that I need a longer taper. How much of a taper do I need and how long so I can tell that to my doctor.

Oh my, thats an awfully rapid taper!  As I mentioned in your introductory post we suggest going much slower.  Have you ever felt symptoms from a missed dose, have you had to increase your dose over the 9 years you’ve been on the drug?  It’s important we know something about your use in order to advise you.

What size are your tablets, are they 1 mg?  Would your doctor be willing to prescribe a smaller dose so you can cut them easily?  If not, we can help you with weighing your dose on a jewelers scale, shaving the tablet with a file or putting your tablet in liquid and reducing that way.

I've missed some dosages and I've suffered some insomnia. I actually went down from 3mg to 1mg(1mg tablet daily)which I've been on since.

Was reducing from 3 to 1 mg difficult?  If it wasn’t then maybe your current plan will work for you, not everyone will suffer like we do.  Have you ever gone more than a day without taking your 1 mg dose?  Have you ever tapered off of a benzodiazepine or z-drug in the past?

Was reducing from 3 to 1 mg difficult?

No it very easy!

Have you ever gone more than a day without taking your 1 mg dose?

No!

Have you ever tapered off of a benzodiazepine or z-drug in the past?

No this will be my first taper!

Given your answers to my questions, I’d say you can probably get away with a rapid taper with the caveat that if symptoms do appear, slowing down would be a good idea.