Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

using a nail file to scrape down pill--how do you hold?

[BW...]

Hi all,

As I get lower in my taper, I'm experimenting with using a nail file to file off smaller amounts of pill (I've been using a razor blade, but I need something to scrape off smaller amounts).  I'm having trouble using the file.  When I use tweezers to hold the pill in order for me to file some off, the pill pops out & shoots across the area I'm in.  Is there a secret to this?  Any tips would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance,

BWarrior

Hi,

So far in my taper I have used my left thumb and index finger to hold the piece of tablet.  I don't use tweezers.  Before shaving I pinch the piece and then run the file along the edge of it.  For very small pieces I've practiced by having the piece rest on the index finger, held by my thumb as much as possible but allowing the file to run against the top of the piece rather than shaving the edges.  Hope that was clear..

so I'm trying to get some info on dry cutting as well.

I'm so torn as to what to do as my pills range in weights by quite a bit.

Do you measure the amount that you are cutting? say if your pill is .155 file off the .01 from that?

Do you measure each pill and then measure how much you are cutting from that .161- .05 then file off that taper amount.

Or do you file all your pills so they weight the same?

Thanks in advance for any who are doing this

:)

SS

RocknRoll-Thanks; that was clear.  I guess I just need to get used to using it.

SufferingSixty--my pills have always weighed about the same, so I personally don't weigh the pill each time (but maybe I should?).  In my case, I cut my doses with a pill cutter (I dose 4x/day) and cut each of them down from there with a razor blade.  Now that I got a nail file, my plan is to do those cuts & if I'm a little off use the file to shave a little more off.  I kind of do a cross-check on the weight: I'll weigh each dose separately, then I'll put all the doses together to see if I get the correct weight for that day's entire dose.  It's probably not the most efficient way to do it but it works for me.  I generally don't keep the powder that I cut off.  I'm interested in hearing how others do it, too.

BW

SufferingSixty--my pills have always weighed about the same, so I personally don't weigh the pill each time (but maybe I should?).  In my case, I cut my doses with a pill cutter (I dose 4x/day) and cut each of them down from there with a razor blade.  Now that I got a nail file, my plan is to do those cuts & if I'm a little off use the file to shave a little more off.  I kind of do a cross-check on the weight: I'll weigh each dose separately, then I'll put all the doses together to see if I get the correct weight for that day's entire dose.  It's probably not the most efficient way to do it but it works for me.  I generally don't keep the powder that I cut off.  I'm interested in hearing how others do it, too.

BW

Thanks BW,

I'm so concerned as the pills don't weigh the same and I am so sensitive that it would be really tricky to taper consistently.  (I too dose 3X a day recently down from 4X and I take Valium  :idiot:)

I have been doing my taper bit with liquid, but now would need to carry my liquid dose around with me -- I may need to try to find some inconspicuous way to gulp my dose.

I've looked at a couple of you tube videos but they too don't take into account the difference in weight in pills -- maybe I'm being too picky but I've learned to be mighty careful around this stuff!

SS

Do you measure the amount that you are cutting? say if your pill is .155 file off the .01 from that?

Do you measure each pill and then measure how much you are cutting from that .161- .05 then file off that taper amount.

SS

SS don't worry about the pill weight the fillers are the weight difference not the actual drug, the drugs just a tiny amount and is the same in all the pills all you need to do is cut and weigh the dose you want to take  from any pill you want ,mine can have big gap in weight but I don't care abut that I still get my .5 or whatever drug dose .

Nova  :smitten:

BW

Thanks BW,

I'm so concerned as the pills don't weigh the same and I am so sensitive that it would be really tricky to taper consistently.  (I too dose 3X a day recently down from 4X and I take Valium  :idiot:)

I have been doing my taper bit with liquid, but now would need to carry my liquid dose around with me -- I may need to try to find some inconspicuous way to gulp my dose.

I've looked at a couple of you tube videos but they too don't take into account the difference in weight in pills -- maybe I'm being too picky but I've learned to be mighty careful around this stuff!

SS

SS, some members will weigh 10 pills and then take an average weight that they will use in their calculations.

BW

Thanks BW,

SS

SS, some members will weigh 10 pills and then take an average weight that they will use in their calculations.

So from that average you determine each pill individually for the actual weight you want?

Such as shave a .161 pill down to .155, and also shave a .158 pill down to .155  assuming that the difference in the weight is only fillers and not medicine?

Perhaps I'm making this too difficult, but I've been tapering such a tiny amount with liquid....

SS

SS don't worry about the pill weight the fillers are the weight difference not the actual drug, the drugs just a tiny amount and is the same in all the pills all you need to do is cut and weigh the dose you want to take  from any pill you want ,mine can have big gap in weight but I don't care abut that I still get my .5 or whatever drug dose .

Nova  :smitten:

So you're saying that the difference in pill weights is ONLY due to filler differences?

I know I'm being picky about this but I taper such a tiny amount of liquid daily and my success often depends on whether  if I've gone down 3 lines or 4 lines of a 1ml oral syringe. SUCH a tiny amount.

I'm one of those who is so kindled that tiny fluctuations make a big difference....

Just trying to find the best method now that I'm where I am.

thanks!