Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Xanax XR Taper

[BZ...]

I am beginning a taper off of 2 mg/day of Xanax XR

So far, I am on 1.5mg/day (this is day 5 of being on this dose)

My psychiatrist is recommending that I decrease by 0.5mg every 2 weeks or so(depending on how I feel)

I have had a bad experience trying to taper from 0.5mg of regular Xanax in the recent past (which necessitated the increase to 2mg/day of XR) and is causing me to worry about how to handle decreasing the doses even further. The smallest dose available of Xanax XR is 0.5mg, and I don't think the extended release form can be split.

Does anyone have any advice or successful experience on tapering off this level of Xanax XR with minimal withdrawals? What did you do from 0.5mg until the jump? What was your process and how did it go? Did you switch to a longer acting (and smaller increment) benzo?

Thank you so much for any insights!

Hi there,

I'm going to let others who are more knowledgeable chime in around this, but the schedule that the doctor has promoted is mighty mighty quick!  I don't think they are "benzo-wise" and may need to get more information about tapering regimens.

If you look at others who seem to do well it's about a 10% taper every two weeks to a month or slower.  some very decent results come from a symptoms based taper rather than trying to determine the timing of when to be off.

my taper from Xanax (not XR) started much too quickly and I continue to pay for it -- go slow to go fast seems to be a good motto here.

Hope this helps some

:)

SS

Hey BZFreeJourney,

Yes, exactly what SufferingSixty said.

I got a digital jewelry scale for $10 on Amazon. I just started tapering from .5mg of clonazepam down to .45mg.. My .5mg tablets weigh .2g on the scale, so going with what I believe is the recommended reduction schedule that is in the Ashton Manual, I will reduce by 10% of my current dose every 2 weeks. I like to divide my doses in two, morning and evening. I have spent the last eight months tapering from my original daily intake of 3mg. Since I have been doing this for some time I have a bottle containing various sized chunks of pills leftover from splitting them. So, I put two little pieces on my scale and if they weigh .18g on my scale ( .45mg) I am comfortable that the two daily doses are not exactly the same, as the daily total is consistent. When the time comes I have a nail file to shave tiny pieces down.

Having this kind of control over your reductions might decrease your worry. Even though worry kind of comes with the territory in benzodiazepine cessation. It’s good to recognize that that itself can be a withdrawal symptom, so go easy on yourself.

Professor Ashton observed that it is often easier to tolerate larger reductions at higher dosages, and in my experience I have gotten more sensitive to any small variation in my dosages as they get smaller.

I think your psychiatrist has you on a too rapid withdrawal schedule. Most people agree that slower is better. As Ashton said “I don’t see what the rush is”.

Best, Pop

Thank you so much for your responses - I feel the same way, given my reaction to trying to taper off of 0.5mg of regular Xanax.

I may try to switch over to a longer acting benzo to continue the taper, since Xanax XR doesn't come any smaller than 0.5mg.

When taking smaller doses of Xanax(especially at very small amounts), how many times per day does it need to be taken to avoid interdose withdrawals?

Thanks!

I am not that familiar with Xanax XR, but it looks like you recently made a .5mg reduction which to me would be a very big reduction. I would consider stabilizing at that dose for a good while.

Xanax and clonazepam are much more potent than Valium (which most people switch over to). For instance the ratio in potency of clonazepam to Valium is 20 to 1. This is what makes the switch to Valium appealing as it’s easier to make small reductions.

From what I understand, it’s best to make the switch from one benzo to another gradually, so there is a period where you are taking a little of both medications. You should run this past other people here and your doctor.

Thank you so much for your responses - I feel the same way, given my reaction to trying to taper off of 0.5mg of regular Xanax.

I may try to switch over to a longer acting benzo to continue the taper, since Xanax XR doesn't come any smaller than 0.5mg.

When taking smaller doses of Xanax(especially at very small amounts), how many times per day does it need to be taken to avoid interdose withdrawals?

Thanks!

Yes Valium is a much smoother ride -- not without it's bumps and high wire acts but Xanax was wicked.  I have read ( sorry no citation here) that the XR is difficult in that it comes in coated pills?  That some, again I wish I had the thread, switch to regular xanax then Valium.  But do research that bit.

:)