Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

6 month K Taper help

[ir...]

Hey all. I had a miscarriage about 9 months ago, had to get on Klonopin to help with trauma/panic attacks that’s resulted from the miscarriage. My husband and I are ready to start trying again, so I told my psych that back in January and he tells me I can do a 4 month taper and be off by April (I had only been on 1mg/day for 3 months at this point). Now here we are, it’s April and I started tapering on my own because he has only tapered me from 1mg to 0.75 mg since January. I made it down to 0.375 mg on my own with the cut and hold method. It wasn’t difficult until this most recent cut. I would love some guidance on where to go from here. I was planning on 0.125mg cuts every 14 days (if my body allows it). Would love any and all input.

Hey irishgirl8635,

For me personally I took Professor Ashton’s observation that it’s easier to make bigger cuts at higher doses, and have subsequently slowed my taper way down. I got a jewelry scale on Amazon for $10 and my .5mg tablets weigh .2 g on my little scale. So the reduction I made today is Ashton’’s advised %10 of my current dosage which comes out to .45mg total and weighs .18g on the scale. I also have that split into two doses one in the morning and one early evening. I plan to make a %10 reduction every 10-14 days. This is a little micro-tapering as I have found that like many others here getting down to that last bit is a little difficult, and am personally more sensitive to the small variations when I was trying to eyeball it. Fortunately, clonazepam has a long half life so I am not too worried about the two little daily doses being exactly the same, just that together they equal .45mg or weigh .18 on the scale. Also a nail file is handy at shaving a little off a pill.

I imagine that like me, you would really like to be done with it. The temptation to jump off at .25 mg is strong, but I have read others say they did that and wished they had gone slower. Everyone is a little different and some can handle bigger cuts. If you have the luxury of going slow, I think that is overwhelmingly agreed upon here. As Ashton said in a YouTube video “I don’t see what the rush is”.

I hope this is helpful and best of luck in your recovery!

Pop