Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Thoughts on how chigger bites might impact withdrawal?

Hi buddies,

I am almost embarrassed at this question, but I have had such a bad day today in terms of my most hated physical symptoms (burning and muscle pain/spasms) that I feel I have to ask your thoughts about this:  I have had a pretty significant run in with chiggers from an outdoor wedding we attended on Saturday. I probably have 40-50 bites, but the strange thing is that I have had very little itching (yet).  However, I have read up on how chiggers "inject" some enzymes (I think I have that right) into their victims, and it is these enzymes that break down flesh tissue that the chiggers then ingest.

Do you think this could have triggered the wave I am experiencing today?  I know that chiggers do not carry diseases to humans like ticks do, but I wonder if someone who is struggling with nervous system problems (like withdrawal) might be prone to trouble from these bites?

Thank you for any thoughts you might have to offer.

Leena

Hi Leena.........................I'm at two years and almost eight months off my valium habit and doing really well.............but last summer if I did get a mosquito or bug bite I did seem to get a ramped up nervous system..........this has something to do with elevated histamines in response to the bite....histamine excites the whole benzo wd system.....................you watch next summer this will not happen.....mebooboo

I just got over poison ivy and it took longer then I thought, to get rid of them.  I also had to take some histamines and it reved up my nervous system.  I think for me, the poison ivy, was worse mentally frustrating then the physical part because we seem to worry and overanalyse everything. 

Hi Leena,

When we first moved to MS, we lived in a 100+ year old victorian while waiting for our house to be built.  It was the only place we could find within 120 miles.

The house was infested with squirrels, rats and fleas (nasty!!) and they loved me.  In one day, on one leg, my husband and I counted over 80 flea bites.  That was just one leg.

I was so sick and felt so strange and then I started to freak out!  We bombed the place over and over, had pest companies come in - all to no avail.  This, by the way, was how I was diagnosed with pesticide poisoning a few years later. 

Anyway, I promptly backed a bag and headed for my homestate of Texas and told my husband I would return when the house was finished.

My doctor later told me that fleas, chiggers and mosquitoes can all cause problems if you get enough bites at any one time.

How are you treating your chigger bites?

I would say that sounds pretty far fetched but with the way these drugs mess with our bodies anything is possible.

I didn't realize it at the time but I went into anaphylactic shock once after hanging out on a dock at the lake with my g/f. I was kind of occupied with the moment and didn't pay attention to the fact that my feet were getting chewed up by something. When I got in the car it felt like my ears were swelling and my eyes were bulging out of my head. Told my mom about it later and she said "next time that happens you go STRAIGHT to the hospital!" Didn't realize how serious it was at the time.

Thanks guys....I appreciate your posts/thoughts.  I think it is odd that these bites are not itching much...I guess I should stop "worrying" about that and feel grateful!

I did find out from the mother of the groom that all the adults who were in the wedding have the chigger bites....did not affect the children as badly.

Missy, I haven't treated them because except for about 2-3 of the bites, they have not itched.  They mostly just look awful.  And maybe even though they aren't itching they are making me feel bad in other ways.  I appreciate your relaying your story to me.

OK... Thanks again.

Love,

Leena

I wish I knew what to say Leena. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Love

Pam