Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Neurologist blunder, my story.

[Ke...]

A couple of years ago, y primary doctor sent me to see a neurologist/psych (double paycheck?) for a chat.

I noted to this 'BOARD CERTIFIED MEDICAL DOCTOR" with dozens of years of experience at the time, that I was inclined to stop taking the valium which I was using about 40mg/day, I think. 

I also checked his online reviews before going there. They were 1 star HORRIBLE stories.  Most likely true after I met with him. Same goofy guy without a clue. Never place your full faith and trust in a medical doctor for the ultimate truth, get their "opinion", then go get a SECOND opinion.

This doctor told me:  I can get you off valium in a few weeks, by switching you over to Klonopin, and taper for a few weeks, and you will be off the benzo....

After reading the PAWS and GABA repair time frame - this "doctor" could have really messed me up had I listened to him.

I tried the Klonopin switch for a few days - it did nothing for me and I asked to go back to valium. I showed him the Taper schedule of Prof Ashton, and he decided he knew more than her, and all those weeks of slow tapering were nonsense and not required in his esteemed medical opinion.

I would have wound up dead, in an ICU,, or a mental facility, for the fault of that goof who calls himself a neurologist.

I am learning MORE from these types of sites and interaction with people, and performing my own due diligence.

I think a 1 year taper from 20mg should work for me.  Hopefully not 2 or 3 years...

Your doctor was right, he could have gotten you off of the drug in a few weeks time but the suffering you would have endured would have been horrific.  Its much the same for people who go to detox, the facilities make grand promises then send you home to suffer, most will reinstate and do a slow taper, what a waste of time and money but most of all, its cruel.

Those taper times should be illegal. I was "medically detoxed" and wish I had found this site beforehand. If I had reinstated and done a slow taper maybe I would not be in the situation I am in now. AND I have to believe that I will heal.