Is diazepam anticholinergic?

[ne...]

Thanks for replying, 4MyDaughter. Thought so, because it makes me forgetful, and as I understand, acetylcholine is involved into memory formation. Wish you well!  :hug:

Yes. All benzos are

Hello, 4MyDaughter.  I wonder if you could provide us with a credible citation to support this claim?  Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Libertas, I think 4mydaughter is not very active on the forum anymore, so I decided to research this topic myself to make sure I have accurate information.  I've found this article that gives a non-inclusive list of drugs with anticholinergic effects.

Screen_Shot_2017-07-07_at_10.01.53_AM.png

Source: https://www.consultant360.com/articles/anticholinergic-syndrome-presentations-etiological-agents-differential-diagnosis-and

Since it lists several benzos as having anticholinergic effects, I assume that the rest of them act in a similar fashion.  Either way my diazepam is listed in there so I answered my own question. Thanks for contributing to this thread and keeping the forum science-based!

Many hugs, NG  :hug:

Thank you so much, new0girl.  I’m all for evidence-based decision making!  I have not researched this topic myself so was/am interested in learning more. 

Your post prompted me to do a quick PubMed search.  I found a recently published (2022), peer-reviewed paper of interest (citation below).

The authors conducted a systematic review of the literature to identify drugs with low, medium, and high anticholinergic potency (effects).  Four benzodiazepines were included in the low-potency category: alprazolam, clonazepam, diazepam, and lorazepam.

Citation:

CRIDECO Anticholinergic Load Scale: An Updated Anticholinergic Burden Scale. Comparison with the ACB Scale in Spanish Individuals with Subjective Memory Complaints - 2022. Accessed online at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8876932/