Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Interdose Withdrawal

[Ci...]

I am on K, have tapered since October from .75, .25 in am and .50 in pm, without much difficulty. Currently at .19 am and .19 pm.  I take doses at 10am and 10pm . For the past few days I have been experiencing symptoms every day around 4pm of headache, chest tightness, and nausea. I have been holding since yesterday but wondering if this is interdose withdrawal even though K is longer acting?

It sure sounds like interdose but you're getting pretty low in dose and eventually all doses have to go so I'm not sure if splitting your dose and taking 3 times a day is the right move.  Its great to hear your taper have been fairly uneventful.  I think you're smart to hold, most find they need to slow down towards the end.

Thanks for the reply; yes, splitting between 3 doses doing a dry cut would be a challenge. I would have to go to compounding I guess but maybe just slowing the taper rate now that I’m low may help. I also contemplated crossing-over to V. But that would add some weeks and I’m not sure how I would tolerate the V. With my doses so low I’m not sure it’s worth the risk?

I agree, crossing to Valium probably wouldn't benefit you.  What about putting your tablet into water and tapering that way, water titration seems to be beneficial at the end, you could dose multiple times a day, some members will take sips of their water throughout the day.