Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

tooth decay and benzo

has anyone had worst tooth decay from using benzos.  just came from dentist and i had 5 cavities in my teeth at root. my gums are receding and i have veneerson on front teeth but that should not cause all of these cavities  never had this before. dentist said my body cemistry has probably changed and my mouth is more acidic.  he gave me floride to use at night . thanks for comments

[16...]

Aura,

Yes I have had some tooth decay from Benzo's. Particularly Klonopin.

My teeth were never perfect. I mean they're not hideous, but my back teeth are chipped, and I have had several pulled.

The dentist who pulled my teeth did tell me that Benzo's can cause decay and other problems.

I don't think you are alone on this one.

S#

Aura,

The dentist who pulled my teeth did tell me that Benzo's can cause decay and other problems.

I don't think you are alone on this one.

wow...that actually comforts me a little to read that.  i went to a dentist last Jan/Feb/March while i was just starting my valium reinstatement and the beginning of the taper.  i had been under the care of a dentist in a different state and had last gone the previous September, so...less than half a year. and did not have cavities, although the dentist had been a bit laissez-faire in his approach. I remember him using the pick on certain teeth, where there were depressions in the teeth and asking if it hurt. well..no, nothing really hurt at that point.  because i was on so much percocet and also the benzos. fast forward 4 months, this new dentist uses a 'state of the art' scanner thing that beeps when it detects a cavity. the thing went off like crazy, he declared i had about 8 areas of decay, some pretty big, needed an inlay on one back tooth , another back molar required 2 fillings.  But i did not question him, or get a second opinion, i just went along with it. I had no business getting so much dental work done, as I was so doped up and I didn't even really realize how compromised i was. now I have PTSD about it, b/c I feel like he drilled out healthy teeth to make money (the guy was money hungry) and a subsequent dentist that I went to last year, said that a filling he did on the outside surface of my tooth was terrible work.  he also lied to me about the cost of something and I was so defenseless, and I think he picked up on this. That and I TOLD him I was doing a valium taper...OMG.  I cannot even believe the hell that this has been.  anyway...my advice to you, Aura, is get a second opinion.  make sure the dentist takes xrays and shows you where the areas of decay are. ask if some are small enough that you can wait to get them filled, i'd only have work done that is necessary right now. you want to minimize the chance that you'll look back on this when you're recovered and regret having it done. 

just my two cents...also, some say that with proper nutrition/minerals/supplements that some cavities can fill back in with healthy tooth on their own, without having to be drilled out and replaced with composite or mercury.  sometimes i freaking HATE hindsight.  i never would have blindly gone along with some dude telling me he had to drill out half my teeth, i didn't even call my last dentist and ask him 'waddup?'  AHHAHHHH  well at least i can write about it now, it is amazing what this withdrawal does...i will never be able to make sense of it all, it is all part of the damage done and somehow i need to make peace with this.

thanks for posting what you did, Aura and sorry for writing so much here, I just needed to get that out.

J.

Hi... Yes it does occur.. my hubby Ron has five cavities... two in crowns.. decay!  He always had teeth cleaned every 6 months... found this out during tapering... but we are putting all on hold until the sx withdrawals are though.  Pattylu

I had not had a tooth decay in 30 years and now after having been on Benzos for over two years I have one.

I had not made the connection...

It seems Benzos affect us in more ways than drug companies want us to know, and it seems our doctors are not aware of how bad Benzos are in the long run.

I read somewhere ( wikipedia ? ) that some of those drugs also reduce muscle mass...I used to have big arms before I began taking Benzos, anti-depressants and a Z drug to help me sleep.

Those things are poison.

I wish I had known that before I began taking all those chemicals...