Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Help with Lorazepam taper

[d0...]

[d0...]

Hi everyone! I (27 F) am a fairly short-term user (Lorazepam) and tonight I will take my first 0,4 mg dose. My dose was 1 mg before bedtime for the last 5 weeks. I was on 2 mg during my first week but I was able to jump to 1 mg immediately.

I have been tapering for 3 weeks now: decreasing 0.1 mg every 3-5 days. My pharmacist is compounding the pills into capsules for me. I am doing pretty good. I do have tinnutes and a slight headache but I feel like I can handle it.

I also noticed that I’m sleeping better while lowering my dose? Around 6 hours and only waking up once. I am grateful but confused. I don’t want to jinx it though.

My doctor suggested me to jump of at 0,5 mg because I’m doing ok. However, I feel like this is still a high dose. So I begged for prescriptions as low as 0.1 mg. Is this a better dose? Or should I go as low as 0,05 mg?

I understand that I have to listen to my body but I would like to do this safely. I feel like  the doctors in my country are so uneducated about benzo’s. My psychiatrist wanted me to quit  the 1mg CT.  I said: “Not on my watch”.

Thank you so much!

You sound really good, you're tapering slowly, you're listening to your body and you're advocating for yourself when you don't agree with what your doctor is proposing, good for you! 

I'd keep doing what you're doing and something tells me you'll know when its time to jump, you got this.  :thumbsup: