Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

When does balance return?

I know I have posted on this subject many times but here I go again.  I have had balance problems for over 4 months now and I would like to hear from anyone who has suffered with this symptom. How long did it last? How intense were your symptoms? Did you suffer for days, months, or years?  I am so frustrated right now and fear that it will never go away.  I would just like some encouragement that it is a side effect from benzos and will eventually go away.

[f4...]

Hi there,

I am not finished tapering, but I have tapered a long way from where I was.

I have the balance problems.

For me, I find they come and go.

This has to be taken in moderation for me.

The more I walk, keep steady as I walk, and focus that I'm grounded.. this helps.

I also stand on one leg sometimes to work with this.

I know what you're talking about, and for me.. I work with the issue over time, well, as time goes within this process.

S#

After Detox for the first two weeks I couldn't even stand.  Then it progressed to being able to stand for < 5 min and I had to hold onto walls, countertops, etc to walk around.  That went on till the end of the 3rd month.  At month 4 it turned around but I still feel like I am walking drunk.  I don't know if that helps, I definitely am progressing so that's a positive!

Thanks for the response.  Walking around like a drunk is what it feels like.  I hope it starts to let up soon.  It's driving me  CRAZY!!!!

Thanks for the response.  Walking around like a drunk is what it feels like.  I hope it starts to let up soon.  It's driving me  CRAZY!!!!

Not sure how serious you were about the drunk part, but for me, that's EXACTLY what it feels like! It extends to other parts of my behavior, too... like talking. I sometimes say things that I later think might have  not made the right amount of sense. Or I'll interpret things that people say in a way I wouldn't have if I felt "sober." That drunk feeling is very familiar to me. Can't wait until it leaves!!!

Very serious about the drunk part even though I dont drink anymore.  It also feels like being on a boat in rough waters.  I don't think I would pass a DUI test.  I do drive a little because I don't have anyone to do it for me.  I also know what you mean about messing up words when talking to someone.  I forget what words I'm going to say and feel like an idiot.  I can't until this passes. It is so debilitating.

I'm a little past 4 months as well and I still have balance issues, not as bad as I did in the beginning, but still there. My fine motor skills are still lacking. I think it is pretty common. Hang in there.    Scott