Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Issues With Time

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this but wondering if anybody else has my problem. It seems like whenever I have an appointment or going somewhere I'm continually late. I don't seem to be able to gauge myself at all. I get in the shower and when I get out I realize I've been there too long or I will fool around with the computer when I know that I have somewhere to go and then feel terrible when I'm late. Is this a common problem and does anybody have a solution? Thank you in advance for reading and helping.

Frannie

Franne,

During my first year I lost all concept of time.  I could look at a clock and know intellectually what time it said, but I didn't  have the ability to "feel" time.

Example would be when people say that "Its feels likes it around 3:00pm"  I just couldn't feel it like normal.

I too couldn't gauge time.  Many times I  burned things and was late to appts.  Most of the time I couldn't tell you what day or month it was with out looking.  How to manage my time is still a montamental task at this point.

My only explaination is that time is a human thing, located in the frontal cortex.  Animals don't have much of a frontal cortex, so that's why they don't seem to have much concept of time.  Also I learned from a neurologiest that the frontal cortex is where most seizures from benzos take place and shall I use the word injury (for lack of a better one) to GABA receptors. 

I will say on a good note that when I have windows my sense of time returns.  This gives me hope that it will return like everything else.

If I didn't keep a strict daily routine while in w/d I would never know what time it was.  I barely know what day it is until I get close to a w/d monthly milestone!

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this but wondering if anybody else has my problem. It seems like whenever I have an appointment or going somewhere I'm continually late. I don't seem to be able to gauge myself at all. I get in the shower and when I get out I realize I've been there too long or I will fool around with the computer when I know that I have somewhere to go and then feel terrible when I'm late. Is this a common problem and does anybody have a solution? Thank you in advance for reading and helping.

Frannie

Hi Frannie,

I've had this problem all my life, so I know it has nothing to do with benzos or withdrawal. I think it's a matter of self-discipline.

I just have to pretend that my appointment, or whatever, is fifteen minutes earlier than it really is and try to make myself be ready by that deadline. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.

My Mom had the same problem, so maybe it's hereditary. One of my kids is like me and the other is just the opposite, takes after her Dad.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. We all have some little faults, and this one isn't so bad.

Nov

Totally Disagree!

I never had this problem before!!  In fact I never had been late to anything before all this.  I was always praised for my organizational skills and time management.

What has happened to my concept of time is totally due to wd.

I think that maybe part of it is me but my time issues became horrendous with all of the drugs and in withdrawal. Who would ever believe that what they call medicine would be so bad.  :(

Frannie