Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Why are symptoms worse after I eat?

[Mi...]

Does anyone know why my withdrawal symptoms are so much worse after I eat?  I'm not eating sugar, caffiene, etc.  But I find after I eat ANYTHING, my anxiety, disorientation, etc. suddenly become awful.  Makes me not want to eat, but I have to because I'm still dropping weight.

Anyone else experience this?

Missy, are you eating any type of process foods?  I couldn't handle mayo due to the vinegar and I believe I was very sensitive to soy.  I had to cut all those out for months.  Listen to your body and read labels.  I stayed with whole natural foods for months.

Things you never had a prob. with before can bring on symptoms out of the blue.  I became allergic to my dogs during wd and I have had them for 8 years!  I don't have a problem now but for about 4 months I could not tolerate them.  They got banned to certain areas of the house, my family about had a fit but you gotta do what you gotta do!

• 4 years later...
might because their are benzo receptors in the gut and in the kidneys like the brain, but not the same with drawal symptoms like the brain.  There is a lot of serotonin boosting foods on the welbein and health blog that you can take look at, most of withdrawal systems not alll. are due to serotonin depletion caused by benzos, I have been on the diet for 3 days now eating a lot of proteims and carbs to keep my level steay to relieve anxiety and panic, before I started the diet, and when I first started my taper to cross to substitution, I used to have mood changes when I ate anything, also had a episode of feeling like I was going to pass out, also had a couple spastic colon episodes in my sleep that woke me up when I started the diazepam, since starting the diet, I feel a litle bit more calm, no morning anxiety. no stomach problems.  Plus I only drink water and warm milk ocassionally.

This happens to me, too, and it doesn't seem to follow any patterns based on [a] type of food, timing, or [c] how much I eat and/or how hungry I was. I think it's plain old physiology: when we ingest food our bodies shift gears from normal "processing" mode to "digesting food" mode, i.e., most of our energy is drawn away from our muscles and toward our guts - and even our brains shift gear, from on-the-alert to mildly or even heavily sedate.

It's an evolutionary characteristic. You don't want to introduce drama or stress while digesting because it can disrupt the process, leaving you with undigested food or worse. When your fight-or-flight mechanism kicks in one of the first things it does is completely shut down your metabolism; that's the reverse of the same process. So after we eat our instinct is to relax, and that's a bit of a problem when your inhibitory neurotransmitter (GABA's chief role) is on the fritz.

Having said all that: it sucks but it's not dangerous or anything, it just sucks. Eating small meals usually helps me with this.