Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Fell Off Plan - Need A New One

[Ja...]

The step down plan prescribed by my Dr. was too aggressive.  I made it seven days (seven excruciating, pain filled days.)  I am hoping someone can suggest a good plan that I may present to my doctor so I might start over.  My original dosages and medications were:  Clonazepam 1.0 mg per day and Lorazepam 2.0 mg per day over the past 12 years time.  Truthfully, the past week has been so difficult that I am reconsidering whether I really want to quit this.... but I am not ready to give up yet....soon maybe.

Thank you for listening ! .... Jaxx

Hi Jaxx,

I moved your post to General Taper Plans so we can help you figure this out.  Only you can make the decision to get off of these drugs, and we wholly understand how painful it is, so whatever you decide is what we'll support. 

Professor Ashton supported crossing over to Valium which many Dr's won't go for, but take a look at her taper schedules to get an idea of how slowly she tapered her patients.  http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm  Keep in mind that the equivalency of Valium to Ativan is 10 to 1 and the equivalency of Valium to Clonazepam is 10 to .5 so she tapered her patients very slowly.

I've seen many members taper by cutting fractions of their dose every couple of weeks, making even smaller cuts the lower in dose they get.  They alternate which dose to cut but eventually they all have to go.  Can you tell me how many times a day you're dosing?  And I think we also mentioned that it's wise to only taper one benzo at a time, with Ativan being the best one to eliminate because it's half life is shorter.

You can check out this link to give you an idea of percentages of your dose to taper, plus some other useful information. http://www.benzobuddies.org/benzodiazepine-withdrawal-methods/direct-taper

Hello ....  It's funny, I had printed out Prof. Ashton's research a few weeks back.  I have been using it as my resource and for my encouragement.  I somehow missed the schedules tho.

I have emailed the info to my Dr. for his consideration.  I let him know that my discomfort was such that I am back up to my original dosing and that I need to start over.  I also said that I would like to start with one and then follow with the other.... not do both at once.  The step down schedule set by the doc was to cut out Clonazepam altogether (aka Cold Turkey) and follow the schedule using Lorazepam only:  2 weeks Lpam at 0.5, 3 x daily, 2 weeks Lpam at 0.5 2 x daily, 2 weeks Lpam at 0.25 2 x daily, 2 weeks Lpam at 0.25 1 x daily and then discontinue.

I know I have to speak for myself, but if any of you were me and you had the following things going on in your life, would you attempt the daunting task of withdrawal now or would you wait?  The thing is, there will always be reasons to wait.  However.... I am the owner of two businesses.  Both of which have me working seven days a week.  I am responsible for employees.  I have a big show coming up for my product line in August.  My son and his wife have just decided they may be splitting up and my son is heart broken and needs his mom (preferably with her screws mounted tightly.)

Whaddddya think?  Maybe wait til Fall or just go for it now with a more realistic, less painful tapering plan? 

Thank you for your time and consideration on my behalf.

Regards,

Jaxx

I am here to tell you there never is a good time- there is just now. Who knows what issues you may have to deal with in the future? Whats your reason for quitting? The 10% every two weeks rule is a good one to follow, and getting this behind you will enable you to be there for whatever lies ahead. Plus- you have the distraction thing going for you, and will not be so focused on every little symptom.

I hope you will be able to decide what you need to do, indecision makes us feel worse.  Let us know if we can help you, we'll support whatever decision you make.

Hi JaxxWerx:

Not making it the first time through on a taper plan can certainly shake confidence.  But it was simply too fast.  This time you will slow it down, and make it through.  There's a whole lot of support and info here from many who have already done it.  If you can get your doctor on board you will feel even more supported.  Hang in there!

Draftsman