Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Request for titration schedule

[ja...]

Hello, can you please help me producte a clonazepam titration schedule in to attempt to titration taper?

Both I and my girlfriend are concerned about the cognitive effects of this medication on me, and it seems that general psychiatry hasn't much of idea on how to go about a safe taper.

Here are the details of the tapering attempt I'd like to try.

Start Date: 6/20/2011

Dose: 1.5 mg Clonazepam daily (1.0 mg morning + 0.5 mg night )

Tablet Dose: 1.0 mg Clonazepam

Number of Tablets: 1.5

Taper Rate: 1% per day?

Cylinder Details: 100 ml cylinder with 1 ml marked increments.

P.S. Thanks so much for helping me in this attempt to save my brain from the clutches of clonazepam. I will be, should this work, eternally grateful.

[26...]

Hi jaegd,

If I understand correctly, you have 1mg pills, and are taking 1mg pill a day, 1/2 of another 1mg pill equaling 1.5mgs.

Crush 1 pill(1mg) into powder and mix it thoroughly with 100ml (cc) liquid. You can use water or milk, but most people use milk. It tends to suspend the pill particles a bit better. You could use other liquids too, if neither of these appeal to you.

Each day, you will start with this original mixture (1mg clonazepam in 100mls liquid). Each day you will cumulatively remove and discard 1ml from this mixture immediatly upon mixing vigorously. Drink the remaining. If you would like to split up this dose during the day, make sure you mix it again before drinking the second dose.

So....

Day 1: Make your original mixture and remove 1ml. Drink the remaining.

Day 2: Make your original mixture and remove 2mls. Drink the remaining.

Day 3: Make your original mixture and remove 3mls. Drink the remaining.

Day 4: Make your original mixture and remove 4mls. Drink the remaining.

Day 5: Make your original mixture and remove 5mls. Drink the remaining.

...And so on.  

Make sure to keep a log of your cuts so you don't lose track.  

This is a pretty average-paced taper. If you find the process too slow, you could possibly speed it up. Just play it by ear.

S#

Where do I post to get a titration spreadsheet built? I've posted the information requested, but yet no moderator has posted a titration spreadsheet. What more information need I supply to make this occur?

I don't understand why we'd be asked for a start date, unless it were to use the start date for a user specific titration schedule. Can someone with some experience on this board care to explain?

Alternatively, can someone send me the generic titration Excel spreadsheet with the formula info. With that in hand, I'll enter the information myself and create my own schedule.

Thanks much all.

Here's information I began the post with:

Start Date: 6/20/2011

Dose: 1.5 mg Clonazepam daily (1.0 mg morning + 0.5 mg night )

Tablet Dose: 1.0 mg Clonazepam

Number of Tablets: 1.5

Taper Rate: 1% per day?

Cylinder Details: 100 ml cylinder with 1 ml marked increments.

[26...]
Where do I post to get a titration spreadsheet built? I've posted the information requested, but yet no moderator has posted a titration spreadsheet. What more information need I supply to make this occur?

I don't understand why we'd be asked for a start date, unless it were to use the start date for a user specific titration schedule. Can someone with some experience on this board care to explain?

Alternatively, can someone send me the generic titration Excel spreadsheet with the formula info. With that in hand, I'll enter the information myself and create my own schedule.

I gave you a guideline.

Hopefully someone with Excel will come along and give you the titration plan down to the "T".

Be well. :)

Hi jaegd:

I think there may be a misunderstanding.  When people make a request, we post a schedule here on the forum on how one might go about doing a titration, which is what Sigma did.  We have never posted spread sheets, nor do we email them to people.  The team has looked into the possibility of creating a spreadsheet and we may have one in the future.  I will bring it up with the team and see where things are at with one.  In the meantime, I hope this information is helpful to some degree.

Draftsman

Comment and a question regarding titrating klonopin with whole milk.

After crushing the klonopin tablet(s) into a fine power with a mortar and pestle, and then pouring the klonopin powder together with 100mL of whole milk, the klonopin it seems does not entirely dissolve in the milk.

So, wow do you dissolve the klonopin in the milk entirely, so as to be precise, and not leave undissolved benzo chunks on the perimeter of the cup?  Perhaps there's a particular kind of mortar and pestle that's better than others (I bought a $1.99 version off of ebay) which will crush the tablets more finely? If so, can you hyperlink to it?  Or perhaps, can you safely microwave the whole mixture (and for how long?) to heat up the milk to cause the klonopin to entirely dissolve?

Thanks for you help all. Thusfar, with your guidance, I've  titrated down from 1.5mg Klonopin in 100mL whole milk, to 96mL today.

The powder will not dissolve, you must stir in vigorously and take it immediately, most pour more liquid in the cylinder and drink it to get all of the particles.  For this reason, many people will use water instead of milk so they can see the particles, it reassures them they're getting all of them.

Pam is correct.  Also, make sure you are thoroughly crushing your pill with a mortar and pestle.  Particles should gradually move down to the bottom of a glass.  If chunks are racing to the bottom, you may need to spend a bit more time crushing.  I give the tablet a good workout in the mortar and pestle and I have never had a problem.  I'm glad to hear things are coming along for you jaegd.

Draftsman 

• 2 months later...

Here's my progress report for a whole milk titration of Klonopin.

Benzo: Klonopin

Method: Milk titration

Start Date: July 20, 2011

Start Dose: 1.5 mg generic Clonazepam daily (1.0 mg morning + 0.5 mg night )

Start Tablet Dose: 1.0 mg generic Clonazepam

Current Date: September 10,2011

Current Dose: 0.62 mg brand Clonazepam (0.31 mg morning and 0.31 mg night)

Current Table Dose:  0.5 mg brand Clonazepam

This is not easy guys, but I'm not going to stop.

Sometimes I wonder if I should switch over to diazepam for the half life advantages over klonopin.  Any thoughts? I see my pdoc tomorrow and could ask for diazepam then, and I'm pretty sure he'd agree.

Another question, I'm wondering at what point I should switch to two days per dosage reduction, rather than 1 day per 0.01mg dosage reduction.

Also, is there such a thing as liquid klonopin? If so, do you guys recommend that over crushing klonopin tablets in whole milk?

Lastly, is there any adjunctive things I can do. Thus far, I've given up caffeine, I've given up alcohol, but I've not exercised much or given up sugary/carbo loaded foods. I really want to improve my chances at total brain recovery, so are there any adjunctive things beyond those I've mentioned which can help.

Thanks all, and I wish you the best in your wars of recovery.

Here's my progress report for a whole milk titration of Klonopin.

Benzo: Klonopin

Method: Milk titration

Start Date: July 20, 2011

Start Dose: 1.5 mg generic Clonazepam daily (1.0 mg morning + 0.5 mg night )

Start Tablet Dose: 1.0 mg generic Clonazepam

Current Date: September 10,2011

Current Dose: 0.62 mg brand Clonazepam (0.31 mg morning and 0.31 mg night)

Current Table Dose:  0.5 mg brand Clonazepam

This is not easy guys, but I'm not going to stop.

Sometimes I wonder if I should switch over to diazepam for the half life advantages over klonopin.  Any thoughts? I see my pdoc tomorrow and could ask for diazepam then, and I'm pretty sure he'd agree.

Another question, I'm wondering at what point I should switch to two days per dosage reduction, rather than 1 day per 0.01mg dosage reduction.

Also, is there such a thing as liquid klonopin? If so, do you guys recommend that over crushing klonopin tablets in whole milk?

Lastly, is there any adjunctive things I can do. Thus far, I've given up caffeine, I've given up alcohol, but I've not exercised much or given up sugary/carbo loaded foods. I really want to improve my chances at total brain recovery, so are there any adjunctive things beyond those I've mentioned which can help.

Thanks all, and I wish you the best in your wars of recovery.

Changing your diet may help just a little.  It has helped me a little, but a little is a lot right now as you well know.  I have greatly reduced my sugar intake and carb intake.  Some good foods to start eating if you are not already doing so are:

smoothies wtih walnut oil and flax seed meal and almond milk (unsweetened) and banana and pumpkin or whatever fruit you like and cinnamon with only yogurt on occasion. (yogurt not often)  and honey not too much honey

avocado

apricot

pumpkin

tomatoes

cantelope

tuna

chicken

soft boiled eggs (got that from cupcake for lecithin)

ginger tea with honey and lemon

cucumbers

artichokes

avoid apples or grapes or strong fruit juices (small amounts of juices like melon, guava, or more mild juices are best if in small amounts)

total cereal with real fresh blueberries added (blueberries are good for the brain and the cereal is good for fiber)

Hope that helps.  Here is a link to a healing food website that I find helpful in finding foods that I like that are good for me.  Just click on the food item and it gives you all the good info on it:

http://www.healingfoodreference.com/

I think that getting the nutrition we need from foods is best rather than supplements or amino acids etc. which tend to throw off the brain chems more.  If we get the nutrition we need from eating the right foods, our body takes what it needs, no more, no less (it would do that a lot better had we not taken benzos)

I wish you well on your taper.  I'm on my 2nd taper attempt from Klonopin and changing my diet has helped me some.  Enough where I have noticed the difference, but we have to stick to it.  Avoid sodas and deserts if you can.  Maybe a small treat every once in a while.  Drink water when you are not thirsty.  I know that one is a hard one.

PS - If you wish to see how I titrate, it's in my signature.  I hope you find the way that works best for you as you continue your taper.  In addition, do you mind letting me know how long you have taken klonopin?  I have been on it long term and greatly fear a cross to valium as my depression off the charts as it is.  Many have success crossing though.  If you do cross, please let me know how it goes.  Take care.

Kian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kian,

I was looking for that excel sheet too...

I'm sort of having fun figuring the math & chemistry. 

As I am just beginning the process myself, I haven't decided when or if to switch to diazepam.  The larger size would be helpful as I'm also using 1mg Clonazepam pills, but every body reacts differently to the switch over. 

I've heard breathing exercises and mild exercise (non-aerobic) are helpful.

good luck!

Hi Kian,

I was looking for that excel sheet too...

I'm sort of having fun figuring the math & chemistry. 

As I am just beginning the process myself, I haven't decided when or if to switch to diazepam.  The larger size would be helpful as I'm also using 1mg Clonazepam pills, but every body reacts differently to the switch over. 

I've heard breathing exercises and mild exercise (non-aerobic) are helpful.

good luck!

If you come up with a formula and get it on a spreadsheet, you should consider posting it.  Take care and I hope for your success!

Kian

If you come up with a formula and get it on a spreadsheet, you should consider posting it.  Take care and I hope for your success!

Kian

Will do, though I see how different each of us is. With so many variables, we'd each have to have a custom sheet.

Thanks for the well wishes, Best to you as well.

hbm

Kian

Will do, though I see how different each of us is. With so many variables, we'd each have to have a custom sheet.

Thanks for the well wishes, Best to you as well.

hbm

Today, I wrote up a different kind of titration schedule.............  for Dilantin (phenytoin sodium).  I got a liquid suspension today and will start my taper off of 100mg's tomorrow.  I'm going to start tapering at 5mg's per week.  I may go faster if the symptoms are bearable.  It makes it really easy when the med is available in a liquid suspension.  It contains 25mg's per ml so to start out at 95mg's, I will have to take 3.8 ml if I remember correctly.  3ml = 75mg's and .8ml = 20mg's for a total of 95mg's which is a 5mg cut for my first week.  Then I just cut .2ml each time I wish to cut 5mg's.  Like you wanted to hear that?  LOL ...take care... :D

Kian

Today, I wrote up a different kind of titration schedule.............  for Dilantin (phenytoin sodium).  I got a liquid suspension today and will start my taper off of 100mg's tomorrow. 

HI Kian,

oh, the liquid suspension is made for you... That's good (i'm envious).  I'm looking to create my own with ora-plus.  I'm curious what the pharmacist uses as a base and what the shelf-life is?  A pharmacist I asked said not to make a large dose...  and don't refrigerate. Is that the same for you? 

btw, i like to hear the math, because that's what i'll be doing as well.  slow and steady right?

Today, I wrote up a different kind of titration schedule.............  for Dilantin (phenytoin sodium).  I got a liquid suspension today and will start my taper off of 100mg's tomorrow. 

HI Kian,

oh, the liquid suspension is made for you... That's good (i'm envious).  I'm looking to create my own with ora-plus.  I'm curious what the pharmacist uses as a base and what the shelf-life is?  A pharmacist I asked said not to make a large dose...  and don't refrigerate. Is that the same for you? 

btw, i like to hear the math, because that's what i'll be doing as well.  slow and steady right?

I have no idea about the base and the shelf life, but I'm pretty sure we are not supposed to refrigerate it.  On the bottle it tells me to shake it up very well before each use.  I just took my first dose.  It looks like the same orange stuff they use to suspend cough medicine Delsym or the same suspension used for many kids OTC meds.  It's orange and it tastes funny, but I was expecting it to taste much more bitter considering how BITTER Dilantin is.  It would be nice if Klonopin came like this.  It would make tapering much easier.  In my town, they have no klonopin suspension that I am aware of and even if they do, docs are weary of prescribing it.  Yeah, steady and slow...slow........slow.

Thanks for response Kian, 

I'm researching this site for what people have experimented with for suspensions. One person uses coconut milk.  Makes sense, it's high fat, and if I can find it homogenised then the fat will be distributed well - good for suspension.

I'm going to try mixing it with Xantham gum. (just to be slightly obsessive)

best to you

hbm