Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Finally feeling ok

[Du...]

Hey everyone,

I’m not sure if this will help anyone or not but I thought I’d put a brief post up anyway.

I was taking around 120mg of diazepam weekly for over ten years. I started slowly tapering

Near the end of 2021 and finally got down to zero in May last year.

It was very difficult at first, nothing felt real and I had a pretty rough time (emotions all over the place, anxiety, dizziness etc). I tried to keep doing normal, everyday things and somehow I managed.

After a few weeks, the worst symptoms started to ease off (or perhaps I just got used to them).

Within a few months, I was feeling a lot more like my old self.

I tried to keep busy and remind myself that any bad symptoms was just my brain healing and I tried to ignore them.

I still feel a little bit lightheaded in the mornings and I sometimes struggle to sleep but I can safely say that I feel much better now and I’m so glad I quit Valium!

I’m not sure if this will help anyone or not but if you have stopped benzos and are struggling a bit,

just keep going - it’s well worth it!!

👍👍

How did you  manage to taper? I read your original post and it said that you were only taking  them at the weekend did you start to taper daily Or did you taper by cutting every weekend? And what method  did you use?

Nova ❤️

Hi there,

I started to cut and only take them at weekends initially but it was a bit too much - by Wednesday or Thursday I wasn’t doing too well -  so I started taking them twice during the week and very slowly cut down that way. Friday, Monday and Wednesday were the days I took them. Maybe not the ‘normal’ way of doing it but it worked for me.

It took a long time but I was still able to drive and work etc as long as I didn’t cut too much, too fast.

Hi there,

I started to cut and only take them at weekends initially but it was a bit too much - by Wednesday or Thursday I wasn’t doing too well -  so I started taking them twice during the week and very slowly cut down that way. Friday, Monday and Wednesday were the days I took them. Maybe not the ‘normal’ way of doing it but it worked for me.

It took a long time but I was still able to drive and work etc as long as I didn’t cut too much, too fast.

Thanks for the reply Dunc :hug:  How much were you actually cutting at a time on the days you cut?

Nova  :smitten:

Thank you Dunc38 for posting your story, members struggling need to hear that recovery happens & wellness returns.  It will keep on getting better.  Success stories give hope & encouragement, we need more of these stories, so thank you for taking the time to post.

May you enjoy every moment of your recovery.

Magrita :smitten: