Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Hi - I'm Oreo - I'm new here.

[...]

Hi,

I have been on klonopin for somewhere between 5-6 years.  I take 1mg at night for sleep.  I want to stop taking this and need help and guidance.  I'm not even sure how to begin.

Thank you-

Oreo

[ad...]

Hello Oreo,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

You will find plenty of support here.

It's recommended to taper 10% every 7-14 days.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Sigma.

Hi oreo, welcome :)

Glad you found us, a lot of members are tapering Klonopin here and we can support you along the way. Do you have a doctor that will work with you on weaning off?

Welcome Oreo.

You are probably using 1 mg pills. It might be easier to undertake this taper using 0.5 mg pills. I also split the daily dose, taking them 12 hours apart. So I started with 0.5 mg at 7 am and 0.5 mg at 7 pm. Of course what this means for you is that sleep is going to be an issue. This is an inescapable part of withdrawal anyhow. You can also ask your doctor for propanolol, a beta blocker that will help with blood pressure and fast heart rate, or just pounding heart, during withdrawal. I tried different things for sleep and really did not find anything that worked well.

You can also dilute your pills in water in order to divvy up the medicine the way you need it. Involves some decent math skills. You can find details on tapering on those boards, and pose tapering questions there.

You'll also find yourself drawn toward other forum users with a similar background as yours (multi-year Klonopin users). I would recommend looking at the success stories area for encouragement. Keeping my eyes on the benefits of getting off benzos is what helped me get through withdrawal.

I like to say "you're on the right path," because benzos just plain don't seem to be beneficial in the long run. Good luck!