Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

So sensitive to criticism

I've always been more sensitive to criticism and rejection than the average person...but as I have tapered, this has gotten to an extreme.  I've mentioned on and off that Im in grad school... i'm almost done (it's crazy that I remember posting my fear of traveling out here to start 2 years ago!  and it's crazy i actually remember posting something...lol) and  in grad school... it's alllllll about criticism.  It's worse than any corporate job I've ever had.  It's a constant barrage & I cannot take it out on the people who are dishing it out so I take it out on the wrong people.  Going to the gym does not solve the problem.  At least klonopin used to numb things in this area... but now i have nothing...well, breathing & CBT excercises... but it's hard to get those to work.  I've had therapy on and off for like 10 years and I don't really internalize any of the things I hear in there.   I think that's part of the reason I've been stuck on klonopin so long too - no other coping mechanisms.  Anyway, is this common to anyone else?   I would cite some examples of the criticism / rejection issues and my insanely inappropriate responses but I don't want to sound like a total psycho... but you can imagine...lol. 

Yes, I was extremely sensitive to criticism and pretty much everything else.  I cryed constantly.  Couldn't talk to anyone without crying.  That's why they diagnosed me with extreme depression.  I am still pretty sensitive about criticism but I am my own biggest critic.  I think and rethink every thing I do and say.  But, that's just how I tick..and that will probably never change so I don't worry about it anymore.  I am what I am...as Popeye would say...LOL

Love,

Jen

Anyway, is this common to anyone else? 

A resounding 'YES"! lol.

Jack, I'm the same way, very sensitive to any kind of criticism/rejection. But much worse during my taper. Horrible.

Look on the bright side. You are healing and the sensitivity is a big sign of that.

Funny thing, I seem to have developed coping skills just since I have dealt with my "bad year" and benzo wd. You might surprise yourself. Something about making it thru bad stuff makes you less likely to let things bother you as much. It doesn't seem as important.  

OH my gosh Jack,  So many words want to jump out I can't type fast enough!  Sensitivity was and still is pretty horrible.  Some of it is justified but....most of it's not.  I was not sensitive for so long and people got used to that and now they have to deal with the "new and improved (NOT!) me. :2funny:  It will level out but in the meantime I really analyze a lot.  "Did they mean that the way it sounded to me?"  So, I'm constantly evaluating conversations and they are usually over and the other person has forgotten them by the time I'm finished with them. 

Hi

I have also been sensitive to criticism, specialy during my taper. But it is getting better and better since I'm not on Benzo's anymore.