Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Pyridium for bladder infection?

I guess I will need to see the doc tomorrow because I think I have a bladder infection (bladder pain, have to pee all the time with not much coming out, pain, etc.) I'm going armed with a list of antibiotics I CANNOT take (quinilones), but I was wondering if I'll be able to take the pyridium (the stuff that turns your pee bright yellow) they give for the pain.  Does anyone know if this causes w/d symptoms to get worse?  I definately need it cause I'm in pain!

Also, does anyone know of an antibiotic that I can take that won't make w/d worse?

Thanks.

I just looked up pyridium in the nursing drug handbook, and it says it "exerts local anesthetic action on urinary mucosa". So shouldn't be a problem with your benzo wd.

Fluoroquinolones are definitely best avoided during wd, as they are benzo receptor antagonists. 

I have not heard of any problems with others classes of AB's, but someone else may know more.

Missy and Linda,

I think I have a bladder infection, too. The pain is so unbearable, I had to take 1/2 of a Darvocet twice. I will see the doctor tomorrow and ask about pyridium. I am in SO much pain that it's almost as bad as the chest pain I had last Tuesday. Thanks for mentioning the pyridium. I have heard of the drug, but I never took it.  I am SOOOOO sick of this.

Love,

Genie

Genie/Missy,

Pyridium is like a disinfectant for the bladder. Pyridium Plus contains a slight sedative to help relax bladder spasms. Urisept/Usept is very similar but won't turn the urine orange, instead a very faint like purple color, much easier on the underwear, etc.  ;D

Missy and Linda,

I think I have a bladder infection, too. The pain is so unbearable, I had to take 1/2 of a Darvocet twice. I will see the doctor tomorrow and ask about pyridium. I am in SO much pain that it's almost as bad as the chest pain I had last Tuesday. Thanks for mentioning the pyridium. I have heard of the drug, but I never took it.  I am SOOOOO sick of this.

Love,

Genie

Genie, I'm sure the doc will also take a urine sample for culture and sensitivity and get you on antibiotics. The pyridium is not an antibiotic, just a local pain reliever. 

IT's been many years since I've had one, but boy do I remember the pain!

Be aware........my doc told me a couple of years ago that after using pyridium that cultures are not possible. I don't remember why but maybe it's because of the disinfectant qualities.....or the dyes....I forget. But I distinctly remember him warning against using it unless absolutely necessary.

So, if you girls have problems with bladder infections that are hard to treat and cultures are normally necessary you may want to hold off. Otherwise it will be a hit or miss at finding the right AB.

Most doctors will always get a urine before starting on any meds. They may get you going on them before the results come back, but anytime you walk in a doc office with a bladder complaint, they will get you to pee in a cup before they even talk to you!

Hi Chick! ;)

Hi eljay!

Yes, you are right. They say Hi and hand you a cup to pee in. They still can check for infection but the chemicals in the pyridium prevent a culture being run.

Thanks for the info.

If I do have a bladder infection, any ideas on what antibiotics I CAN take?  I know I can't take the quinilones.

Missy,

That is for your doc to decide. You just need to tell him/her what you CANNOT take. If they do a culture, that will reveal which AB is best and if that is one you can't take then they choose the next best that you can take.

Feel better!

No infection.  Just spasms and urinary retention, a side effect of valium.

Doctor gave me utira.  After reading the side effects (includes sever anxiety and all sorts of benzo w/d like side effects)  this prescription is going in the trash.

Maybe with water and cranberry tablets I can avoid an infection and the inability to pee will go away.

Missy,

Glad to hear no infection. You may try AZO standard (otc), it would give you bright orange urine, but it has a little sedative effect to it if you need it for spasms. Also can use a heating pad to ease spasms.

Take care!  :smitten:

Missy,

I'm glad to hear there was no infection. I know it's kinda a good news/bad news diagnosis. But NOT having an infection is a good thing!

Hang in there,

chick

Well, I think I'll be back in docs office tomorrow, because I really do think I have an infection.  Today, it burns like heck when I pee, and I can't really pee.  Lot's of pain.  I've had UTI's before, and this is definately a UTI.  If pain gets too bad, I may end up in ER tonight.

Does anyone know what kind of antibiotic I can tell them I can take?  I know not the quinolones, but I really need to be armed with something.

Help please!

Missy,

Below is from Dr. Ashton's Manual. Someone else might have further info for you, but if your dr. knows this, he should be able to prescribe something appropriate.

Antibiotics for some reason, sometimes seem to aggravate withdrawal symptoms. However, one class of antibiotics, the quinolones, actually displace benzodiazepines from their binding sites on GABA-receptors. These can precipitate acute withdrawal in people taking or tapering from benzodiazepines. It may be necessary to take antibiotics during benzodiazepine withdrawal but if possible the quinolones should be avoided. (There are at least six different quinolones - ask your doctor if in doubt).

Wow, do the macrolides fall into that same category? I was given Biaxin for a sinus infection very early on in the benzo experience (before I knew there was a problem with them) and it precipitated an anxiety attack. I never understood the connection. Anxiety was never a problem for me. It left my doc baffled. Sorry, Missy, I don't remember what we switched to but it worked OK. I just made a note of the medication and that I wouldn't want to take it ever again....had it listed w/the pharmacy as a NO-NO drug.

Missy,

I have a bladder infection, too, and got very ill on the quinolones. I am now taking amoxicillin. I can tolerate it, but I don't know if it will knock out the infection. I'm also taking pyridium. Thanks, gals, for suggesting that one because the pain was unbearable. Ask your doc about amoxicillin. I had fever last night, and I'm still a hurting unit, but I had to respond to your SOS.

Love,

Genie