Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Surgery during withdrawal

Please bb I need help.. I need to know if anyone had surgery during Klonopin withdrawal.. The doctor said it is NECESSARY and  that it has to be done... I will be at 1mg in 2 weeks.  Please BB I know you cannot tell me what to do.  I understand this.. My own family at home cannot tell me what to do.. I have to deceide..  I just need to know if you had anything done during withdrawal.  Does it make us worse.. I am sick as it is on the K.  Well yu know w/d symptoms they are horrific.. I already know about the quinolone.. What about everything else.. Going under anesthia.

Will this set me back really bad with pain and more w/d.  I appreciate your help.. I have to make this decision.. i keep waiting I cannot stand it anymore.. It will not go away on it's own.  Be Well, Mishi

Mishi, you have a right as a patient to know what meds they are going to use on you for your surgery.  I recommend you get a list.  If a benzodiazepine is on the list you can ask that they use something else, although since you are still on benzos I don't think it should set you back too much (if removing it is not an option).

Your symptoms may rev up a little after the surgery because your body is under extra stress, but that doesn't mean your progress will be set back.  You may have to put your tapering on hold for a couple weeks until your body has a chance to recover but other than that you should be fine.

Crono

Mishi, you have a right as a patient to know what meds they are going to use on you for your surgery.  I recommend you get a list.  If a benzodiazepine is on the list you can ask that they use something else, although since you are still on benzos I don't think it should set you back too much (if removing it is not an option).

Your symptoms may rev up a little after the surgery because your body is under extra stress, but that doesn't mean your progress will be set back.  You may have to put your tapering on hold for a couple weeks until your body has a chance to recover but other than that you should be fine.

Crono

Thank you crono. Yes I am so scared because of the w/d and complications.  They told me they would use an antiobiotic called unicef  I do not know.. May have to stay there in the hospital also .. Oh my gosh.. I can't crono.  They wanted to give me by benzo in the hospital but I am titrating.. I have to titrate there.  No way Crono.  Anesthia I am not good with.. Nothing in my body anymore.. The doctor told me today I have to because I could die if I wait long enough. Possible infection thru the bloodstream.  I sometimes wonder if I should go that route... Okay that is the benzo talking .. You know what I mean.. I am just frightened of this whole thing.. I hope you understand. Why do we have to deal with so  much at the same time.. All I want to to is be normal again.. Thank you for your help and suppport.  Have you heard of unicef it is in the pencillin family.. Profofol is the anesthia.  I hope you are doing well in your life right now, and know I wish you good health alway's and no pain.  I mean that.. Hope to hear from you soon.. Your friend, Mishi

Mishi -

Could you check about the spelling of the antibiotic?  I can't find any antibiotic named "unicef".  It sounds to me like you are risking something much worse than a miserable withdrawal if you keep delaying this surgery.  Please don't put it off too long and get really sick.  :-\

I believe the antibiotic shes talking about is ancef. It is commonly given IV. Mishi, Iknow the prospect of surgery is frightening for you, but it sounds to me like you really need it. This I think has been an issue for about two months right? I know you want to live right? For your kids and hubby? You deserve to get well, if you wait you could possibly get serious complications, and get sicker. Noone wants that. If it were me I would get the surgery. Please let us know ok? Regarding your taper, When you go in they will get a list of meds you are on and the doctor can order them for you. Everyone loves you and wants you healthy.

Hi Mishi... I'm not only posting this for Mishi, a dear friend I have found... communicated on this site with and by phone, she is a truly wonderful woman.  I will support her personally on this site and by phone, and help her, like I say all the wonderful bbs who have come to her to help.  I want to thank Colleen & Beeper who posted on this thread... being sensative and understanding.  Crono, you are correct, all have the right to know what meds..but Crono... what you wrote would scare anyone in this situation, you are wrong in doing this.  Providing information about the right about meds was correct, but - why, would you make the assumption " your body with rev up"... even if you had this happen to you, why would you do this to Mishi...  Sorry, u were wrong, all you do was scare her more; it would have done it to me.  Choosing words is very critical for all going thru this, honesty is necessary, but support is the most.  Hope you understand this.  Pattlu  (I truly think your choice of words did not help Mishi through this)

Mishi -

Could you check about the spelling of the antibiotic?  I can't find any antibiotic named "unicef".  It sounds to me like you are risking something much worse than a miserable withdrawal if you keep delaying this surgery.  Please don't put it off too long and get really sick.  :-\

Beeper please i am so scared.. The antibiotic is in the penicillin family, tha is all i know for now.. I also have to find out if they will give me my poisen K in the hospital.. I have to titrate.. They do not want medicined from the outside.  I do not know what they will give me.. Beeper w/d so bad right now mentally and physically How can I do this now..  I will try to find out the name of the antiboitic. I was like manic the other day when I cut again for 1 day.. How will this  react on me.. Please keep in touch I need the support so bad.. Thank yu.  What do I tell the hospital about my meds.  They have to be taken at a certain time the posen K, and oh gosh i feel like I will wind up in a pshyciatric ward there if my body does not handle the surgery well.  I am not crazy I promise you.. The K, will do this to me sometimes, well yu know what it does right.. Please be with me now.. Thank yu.  Is the penicliilin family oklay.. anesthia i cannot handle either or hospitals.  The doctor said well, if you are nice maybe they will let you take the posen or i have to take theres,  My doses are seperated 3 times  day.  What if I cannot get the posen there that I need. will I go crazy from the surgery.. Talk to you soon. Luv, Mishi

I believe the antibiotic shes talking about is ancef. It is commonly given IV. Mishi, Iknow the prospect of surgery is frightening for you, but it sounds to me like you really need it. This I think has been an issue for about two months right? I know you want to live right? For your kids and hubby? You deserve to get well, if you wait you could possibly get serious complications, and get sicker. Noone wants that. If it were me I would get the surgery. Please let us know ok? Regarding your taper, When you go in they will get a list of meds you are on and the doctor can order them for you. Everyone loves you and wants you healthy.

Colleen , Hi.  Thank you.  Yes the antibioic is in the pencillin family. Yes it has been awhile. Is the antiboitc okay.. Oh gosh Colleen I told beeper this is to much.. I do not know what will happen to me.. My taper is not going well. I am in tolerance so bad right now, physically and mentally.  My heart is racing right now. no sleep at all.  I feel like I am going crazy.  I cannot enjoy my kids right now.  they are scared of me.. I want to live yes.  My hubby has bipoar does not know how to handle this situation right now.. Again my kids are scared and do not want to know about thisw/d.. Yes hubby i nice right now, but things can change fast for him when he is stressed.. I need someone to cook for me right now. I am sensitive to foods.. I need help at home in the worst way... My aunt is leaving soon, and I will be alone.  Oh god colleen the surgery will freak me out. My body cannot handle meds or hospitals.  Please be well. Thank you for being here for me.. I will keep you posted as long as you still want to know what is happening, because I am scared.. I have to make up my mind soon. I hope you are well.  Luv, Mishi

Withdrawal hypes all our senses up. I felt overwhelmed throughout my taper and only recently have gotten relief.

So you're right, it's the w/d dominating your thinking. It would be nice if a friend or family member would help you think through these issues, go to the hospital with you, etc. Do you have a girl friend or relative who fits the bill?

First things first, as they say. Everyone seems to agree the surgery is most important. You can request no benzos. Actually, you're likely to have some pain meds during the process (not knowing what surgery it is), and that'll smooth over your w/d.

Be well, try to separate out the w/d thinking in making your decisions!

Hi Mishi... I'm not only posting this for Mishi, a dear friend I have found... communicated on this site with and by phone, she is a truly wonderful woman.  I will support her personally on this site and by phone, and help her, like I say all the wonderful bbs who have come to her to help.  I want to thank Colleen & Beeper who posted on this thread... being sensative and understanding.  Crono, you are correct, all have the right to know what meds..but Crono... what you wrote would scare anyone in this situation, you are wrong in doing this.  Providing information about the right about meds was correct, but - why, would you make the assumption " your body with rev up"... even if you had this happen to you, why would you do this to Mishi...  Sorry, u were wrong, all you do was scare her more; it would have done it to me.  Choosing words is very critical for all going thru this, honesty is necessary, but support is the most.  Hope you understand this.  Pattlu  (I truly think your choice of words did not help Mishi through this)

Pattylu, Hi. We spoke last night thank you. It is morning right now.  My heart is racing so bad... I cannot function properly. I want to run from this...The pounding in my heart..  My body so stiff right now. so scared patty.  Please help.  I need a correct way of speaking with the doctor today.  I spoke to him yesterday, regarding my K.. he scared me.. the titrating has to be done in the hospital.. I do not know what to do.. He said if I am nice I could take the coconut milk with me,  I cannot titrate there.  My hubby or aunt will have to do this.  They do not want my meds from home.. If I do not tell the doctor the right words he will dismiss me.. Now I will bother him again..How do I explain that I need the meds a certain way during surgery.  3 tmes a day, on time titrated.. What if they will not give it to me the proper way..Who can be with me there Please patty this is to much.. You think I am strong. Right now I am not. No one is home right now.  My aunt does her own thing.  I am alone patty and cannot due this withdrawal or hospital anymore... I know I have too.  My chest hurts patty I cannot have something go down my throat.. Maybe talk to my aunt I do not know what else to do right now.. Thank you for sitcking up for me regarding what was said about the procedure.. But patty, is is common sense, anyhting like this will make me worse.  don't yu think.  Call me later if you can.. Luv, Mishi.. You are the best

Mishi -

Beeper if the hospital will not let anyone titrate my medication there when I decide to go what do I do.. I do not want to die.. Please keep in touch with me. thank you sweet beeper.. Mishi

Mishi, rest assured you will not die  :hug:

The antibiotic is in the penicillin family, so you don't need to worry about much more than typical antibiotic issues like nausea, yeast infections, etc.  It should not affect your benzo withdrawal at all.

Yes the hospital won't let you use your own pills, so you will have to use theirs. Just let them know what dose you are currently on -- I believe 1 mg of klonopin?  Don't worry about getting the K through titration, as long as you are getting the equivalent dose you should be fine.  Maybe you could temporarily go on .5mg twice a day in pill form until you get out of the hospital.  They might be able to provide you with liquid klonopin at your request so you are able to take it at doses you want throughout the day, be sure to check about that. 

Don't worry about tapering while in the hospital.  Hold your dose at 1mg while you are at the hospital and probably for a few weeks after surgery to recover.  Then resume titration.

You will be okay Mishi, perhaps a little worse for the wear after surgery, but that is normal.  You are a brave woman who is doing a marvelous job at tapering her benzo, you will be able to get through this.

Crono

Hello Pattylu,

We understand you want to protect and help your friend, however it's my opinion Crono's post was well informed, sensitive and accurate.  Following surgery, no one feels well because of the stress placed on the body, mishi may not feel well, but I must point out that Crono said may.  mishi may not want to hear that her symptoms could rev up, none of us do, but there is the possibility and this is what Crono was suggesting. Everyone, including the Team are encouraged to post their comments to members, and as long as these comments are respectful and supportive, they are welcome. 

Pam

Mishi -

Beeper if the hospital will not let anyone titrate my medication there when I decide to go what do I do.. I do not want to die.. Please keep in touch with me. thank you sweet beeper.. Mishi

Crono's right, Mishi.  As long as you get the equivalent dose to what you are taking before you have the surgery, there's no problem.  Let the doctor know how you are currently taking it and they can provide it on your schedule.  They can even compound it if necessary to get the right dose.  Surgery of any kind is very scary so I won't tell you not to be scared but you can try to lower your anxiety about it by frequently repeating to yourself "I will get through this and I will be okay".  And once it is over, you will be justifiably proud of yourself for having done just that.  :therethere:

Please help.  I need a correct way of speaking with the doctor today.  I spoke to him yesterday, regarding my K.. he scared me.. the titrating has to be done in the hospital.. I do not know what to do.. He said if I am nice I could take the coconut milk with me,  I cannot titrate there.  My hubby or aunt will have to do this.  They do not want my meds from home.. If I do not tell the doctor the right words he will dismiss me.. Now I will bother him again..How do I explain that I need the meds a certain way during surgery.  3 tmes a day, on time titrated.

Hi Mishi,

Your doctor cannot stop you from taking medicine that has been prescribed to you by your G.P.  He has no right to suggest that, and you need to set him straight.  You need to take your daily dose of Klonopin whilst you are in hospital, and you need to make that very clear to your surgeon.  Secondly, your NHS surgeon cannot simply "drop you"  and if he attempted to do so, there are many other doctors working for the NHS that you could be referred to.  But i find it highly unlikely that he would "drop" you, especially in light of the fact that he told you that you had to have this operation ASAP.  He would be risking your health if he did.

Many people undergo operations each and every day, and those patients also continue to take their previously prescribed medications.  Your husband can bring in your titrated dose every day for you until you are home again.

Try to stop worrying and relax, okay?  Everything is going to work out just fin

Hello Pattylu,

We understand you want to protect and help your friend, however it's my opinion Crono's post was well informed, sensitive and accurate.  Following surgery, no one feels well because of the stress placed on the body, mishi may not feel well, but I must point out that Crono said may.  mishi may not want to hear that her symptoms could rev up, none of us do, but there is the possibility and this is what Crono was suggesting. Everyone, including the Team are encouraged to post their comments to members, and as long as these comments are respectful and supportive, they are welcome. 

Pam

[/quote

Helllo Pam, I stand corrected, Crono did say "may"  My apologies to Crono and thank you for bring this to my attention.  Thanks, Pattlu

Crono

Crono still be with me here i am so scared.. Do no let me down. I need the support.. thank you mishi

Mishi,

I also had an MRCP.  They did an MRCP to go in and cut my Sphincter of Oddi and the Pancreatic Sphincter.  Hey, really hun, don't sweat that one.  It sounds worse than it is, trust me!  I would do it in w/d, really I would.  Especially since your doctor is saying it is life threatening.  One dose of anesthesia will not be the end of the world.  You can get right back on track when you get home.

Don't build this one up in your mind as being so terrible, it really isn't.  It will be over before you know it, it is really not that bad...I swear.

Mishi,

I also had an MRCP.  They did an MRCP to go in and cut my Sphincter of Oddi and the Pancreatic Sphincter.  Hey, really hun, don't sweat that one.  It sounds worse than it is, trust me!  I would do it in w/d, really I would.  Especially since your doctor is saying it is life threatening.  One dose of anesthesia will not be the end of the world.  You can get right back on track when you get home.

Don't build this one up in your mind as being so terrible, it really isn't.  It will be over before you know it, it is really not that bad...I swear.

Great advice  :thumbsup:

You are going to be just fine, Mishi. 

Pattylu, no worries ;) Sometimes I overlook key words myself.  Let us continue to support Mishi to the best of our abilities.

Crono still be with me here i am so scared.. Do no let me down. I need the support.. thank you mishi

Mishi, you will definitely have my support as well as the support of all the other buddies at this forum before and after the surgery.  You are stronger than you realize... I mean.. you have to be, going through what you are going through and still be a loving wife and mother in spite of it all.

Crono

Mishi,

Great advice  :thumbsup:

You are going to be just fine, Mishi. 

Thank you bevoir.. I am so scared.. Are you really, really sure. Anesthesia, and antibiotics.. I think i had mentioned it to beeper.. it is in the penicillin family unaycn something like amoxicillin.. Oh god Bevoir. the w/d are getting worse... I hope you are okay and well please le me know about the antibiotic if you can..  You are so sweet.  I need to talk to you before I go in. Will that be okay.  Thank you. Luv, Mishi

Mishi, I am on Amoxicillin right now for my abscessed tooth.  It is not aggravating my symptoms.  Thought you would like to know!

I just posted on your other thread and now I see you here. Do not fear. you will be just fine. I had a test done at the hospital in which they had to put me under. I had just stopped taking Klonopin, didn't even ask what they were going to give me. I just wanted the test to be done. Came home after the test, slept most of the day because I needed the rest and the following day things were back to normal. Surgery is a little bigger than a test but Please have the surgery if you need it for your health. You need to calm down and get the rest you need for recovery. You will be just fine after all is done. You are over reacting because of the withdrawal. I over reacted to everything, big and small so I know what it is like but if anything you must BELIEVE all will be best for you. Surgery will not be a problem with your withdrawal. You will just continue on after. Trust GOD, you are always in His care.

Mishi, I am on Amoxicillin right now for my abscessed tooth.  It is not aggravating my symptoms.  Thought you would like to know!

Please do not tell me that...I feel bad for you.. I cannot believe it did that.. What am I going to do... I need the surgery and the antiobiotic.. Oh gosh.  Be well and thank yu.. Luv, Mishi