Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Benxo free! 4 weeks....changing anti-depressants.....

Hi everyone,

I currently take 150 Mg of Wellbutrin once a day and find it is not working that great. My doctor changed me to 20 mg of Prozac. I always have a terrible time switching SSRI's and want to know if anyone has taken a combo of these drugs for a short period of time?

The doctor says "oh, just stop the Wellbutrin and take the prozac the next day". I feel really apprehensive about this and was thinking that I could take the prozac with the wellbutrin for a few days to a week maybe to have it build up before coming off?

Thanks

Restless1

Wellbutrin isn't too bad to come off of rather rapidly. I didn't notice any effects. It works on different receptors than the more difficult drugs to come off of such as ssri's and benzos.

The two AD's can be taken together, as they work on different sites, but one at a time would be better. My psych doc said I could cut my 150 sr in half. he said it would lose it's time release effectiveness and just act as an immediate release. So you might want to try that for a few days, rather than just stopping from  150.

But when you are ready to go off the prozac, please do this slowly with caution as ssri CT can be nasty.

Also, you should discuss this with your doc, but I have found that a smaller amount of ssri is equally effective, while eliminating a lot of the side effects. I did really well for years on 10mg paxil. 20mg was way too sedating. I felt like a zombie.

Thanks for your reply.

I really want to get prenant again but I know I can't come off yet. My first pregnancy the doctor told me to stop the A/D. (Zoloft)

I had major relapse and was in a really bad spot. I had to go back on the meds for the rest of the pregnancy. My son was born fine and healthy scored 9 on his apgar.

I have been doing some reasearch and Prozac seems to have the most research behind it in pregnancy and the lowest incicent of birth issues. That's the reason for the switch, I'm going to stick with 20mg for now and wait. This way if I have issues later on, I won't be maxed out on it and up the dose if needed.

Thanks for your reply. ;D

The Apgar score is only a test for gross biological functioning and has no bearing on long term neurology. There is so little research on CNS development for a child exposed to psychiatric drugs in the womb that we have no way of knowing their future. We do know that all psychiatric drugs cross the placental barrier and permeate the developing fetus central nervous system.

Only a few years back we were not aware of fetal alcohol syndrome and now we recognize millions of children have been affected.

Worry over what have been done is not productive but I would not want my child to be marinated in powerful drugs while the his/her basic DNA was developing.

Sit

Seems we're in the same boat. I want to get pregnant again so badly even though that's when this horror started. But I still have a long road to go. I did take prozac when I was pregnant. Many doctors assured me that it was ok so I felt fine taking it until it started not to work anymore. I will be on meds again when I get pregnant because I would rather catch it before it gets full blown again.

Anyway congrats on being benzo free! Can I ask what your poision was and how much? How long did it take to get off? You may have posted it but I'm not sure.

Amanda