Still looking for input on Lunesta/Lorazepam taper --thanks for yourhelp!!

[jd...]

I got some great input from people last week and am still trying to figure out the best taper. I am taking 1.250 mg Lorazepam a day --I seemd to have stablized there. I take .125mg in the am and .125 in the afternoon and 1.0mg around bedtime. I have tapered from 3mg of Lunesta to 2 mg at night --I have only been on that dose for a day or two down from 3 mg to 2 mg. I have been taking the Lunesta for about a month and the Lorezapam for about three years at a dose of about 1.5 mg to 2.0mg a day. Right now I feel ok  -- I little tinitis and some mild anxiety but hey this is just the beginning.

My doctor suggested that I taper off the Lorezapam and then deal with the Lunesta. I would taper the Lorezapam at an 1/8 reduction every 14 days or so. If I am successful then I can taper off the Lunesta --the thought being that the Lunesta would allow me to sleep while I was tapering off the Lorezapam. I realize whatever I do this will take months and I must be patient.

Looking for input --does this make sense as a taper????

Jdperron:

I don't have any experience in which one to taper first, but if it was me, I would probably taper the Lunesta first since you only took it a short while.  I am sure there are so many others who really know what they are talking about, but that is what I would want to do. 

I am tapering lorazepam after a 3 week use.  The doctor wanted me to take ambien too, but I only took 1 pill and didn't like it!  This is such a hard journey!  I wish you the best.

Midwest :smitten:

I'd probably taper off the Lunesta first because it has the shorter half-life (6 hours).  You will still have the 1mg lorazepam at night to help with sleep.  I sometimes took some benedryl or melatonin to help with sleep when I was tapering off of Ambien.  They don't help everyone but they helped me from time to time.  Good luck.  ;)