Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Still looking for input on Lunesta/Lorazepam taper --thanks for yourhelp!!

[jd...]

I got some great input from people last week and am still trying to figure out the best taper. I am taking 1.250 mg Lorazepam a day --I seemd to have stablized there. I take .125mg in the am and .125 in the afternoon and 1.0mg around bedtime. I have tapered from 3mg of Lunesta to 2 mg at night --I have only been on that dose for a day or two down from 3 mg to 2 mg. I have been taking the Lunesta for about a month and the Lorezapam for about three years at a dose of about 1.5 mg to 2.0mg a day. Right now I feel ok  -- I little tinitis and some mild anxiety but hey this is just the beginning.

My doctor suggested that I taper off the Lorezapam and then deal with the Lunesta. I would taper the Lorezapam at an 1/8 reduction every 14 days or so. If I am successful then I can taper off the Lunesta --the thought being that the Lunesta would allow me to sleep while I was tapering off the Lorezapam. I realize whatever I do this will take months and I must be patient.

Looking for input --does this make sense as a taper????

Jdperron:

I don't have any experience in which one to taper first, but if it was me, I would probably taper the Lunesta first since you only took it a short while.  I am sure there are so many others who really know what they are talking about, but that is what I would want to do. 

I am tapering lorazepam after a 3 week use.  The doctor wanted me to take ambien too, but I only took 1 pill and didn't like it!  This is such a hard journey!  I wish you the best.

Midwest :smitten:

I'd probably taper off the Lunesta first because it has the shorter half-life (6 hours).  You will still have the 1mg lorazepam at night to help with sleep.  I sometimes took some benedryl or melatonin to help with sleep when I was tapering off of Ambien.  They don't help everyone but they helped me from time to time.  Good luck.  ;)