Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

New Member Stopping Alprazolam ER To Klonopin

[kd...]

Hello. I am 38/F. Have been on Alprazolam from doc since 2002. Doc switched me to Klonopins starting today. Here is my daily schedule.

PREVIOUS- 1mg Alprazolam IR 4x daily (2002-2WEEKS AGO)

Alprazolam XR .5 MG 4x daily ( 2 weeks ago until today)

TODAY:

Clonazepam 1mg 2 tablets @ 8am, 1 tablet @ 1pm, 1 tablet @ 9pm.

What kind of "hellish" ride am I in for ? :(

Hello kdizzy,Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Can you let us know why your Dr has been switching your medications?  How do you feel after the 50% drop in dose he made to you two weeks ago?  I would imagine you've been feeling some withdrawal symptoms, have you?  Clonazepam and Xanax are roughly equivalent in dose, but I'm more concerned with your drop in dose.  Its also a good idea to add a new drug in slowly while decreasing another one, while they may be the same dose, they do have different properties.  Klonopin will be better for tapering if you're interested in that , but it would be helpful to have the .5 mg tablets.

Let us know how we can help.

Pam

Hi kdizzy,

Everyones ride is different, no one can predict what your experience will be like.  Some have had difficult w/d's while others make it through relatively unscathed.  So don't read the worst case scenario and get yourself worked up.  Please know that whatever happens we will all be here for you to offer you support.  I wish you the best!

Hi kdizzy

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, I'm glad you found us!

Your ride may not be "hellish", many people have tapered from benzos without too much of a problem. Is tapering what you want to do? We're here for you, ask any questions you have.

Star

Hi ...

I don't feel I can tell you what you will be in for, plenty of longer term users here that can offer you insight, but if you want to be free of this drug.

If you want help with a plan to get free.. If you want to feel like "yourself" again. There is no better group of human beings than on this forum.

We'll be here to help u!

I switched from 9mg Xanax (I can't spell the actual name) and am now just powering through 12mg of Klonopin.  I will start my taper in a few weeks off the Klon.  I made the transition from Xanax to Klon.  If I can do it, honey, anyone can.  You have found the right place and it is amazing how many of us have found ourselves in this situation.  I have made benzo's my enemy and this is a war I will win.  You will too.  If you have a significant other or family, be sure to keep them informed and (if they haven't already realized it) you are going to be a bit ... well since we don't use bad words here I'll just say "snippy".  My biggest anxiety trigger is if I'm not completely out of the house and on the way to work before my partner leaves (who knows why we have these triggers ... but they are what they are).  He decided to push it this morning despite my begging him over and over to understand my trigger.  I was on my way out the door (he could have waited 30 seconds ... ok i'm still a bit po'd and 30 mins from my next dosage ... so I had a hissie fit and stormed out of the door.  Wanna know a secret?  It felt good.  We are so careful not to "kirk out" that we forget it's ok to cry and it's also ok to get just downright po'd.  "Normal" people have that luxury ... why shouldn't we.  Don't worry .. I had sent an apology before I even got to work (yeah I"m a big old puffball).  I send you calming thoughts and wish for you today to worry as little as possible about your transition.