Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Benzo withdrawal

[Ro...]

i've taken lorazepam(1 mg) for 5 months. I started it for sleeping problem caused by depression. Now Depression is gone but I found that I still can't sleep without taking lorazepam.

Hello Mike,

I'm very interested in tapering from the lorazepam. I take 1 mg before sleep. Now I want to know to taper it off.

Rocky

Hi Rocky and welcome.

I had terrible insomnia during my taper, as have others.  Even though you are not tapering yet, sometimes we find ourselves in a situation where the pills are not as effective as they once were and we must either go up in dose to achieve the same effect, or go ahead and taper off.  Once off, the body eventually remembers how to sleep on its own.

Mike gave you some great links to look at for tapering information.

Are you taking  a 1 mg pill or two .5 mg pills?  The reason I ask is that some of our members do a direct taper by decreasing their dose by .125mgs every 2 weeks or so.  

If you had .5 mgs pills, that would be 1/4 of a pill.  Then, as they get further along in their taper, they might switch to titration.  Some are able to taper all the way dry cutting their pills.  It's really whatever you are comfortable with.

We're glad you found us, and feel free to ask questions. :)

Hi Rocky,

Welcome to BB  :)

I hope you were able to find some useful information to assist you with a taper.

I tapered off of my benzo 11 months ago, and, although it was hard in the beginning, the further away I got from benzos the better I felt.  As I healed, my sleep issues, anxiety and depression - caused by the withdrawal - all went away, and I am feeling so much better.

You will find a wealth of support here to help you as you taper.

Hi Missy,

I've been taking  a 1 mg lorazepam pill half an hour before sleep. Can I take additional natural sleeping supplement like Valerian root to help me sleep while I taper off slowly by  titration?

Rocky

Hello Rocky,

The decision is up to you if you want to try Valerian. Some people stay away from things that tend to act with GABA.

Valerian Root

Pharmacology

The chemical composition of valerian includes sesquiterpenes of the volatile oil (including valeric acid), iridoids (valepotriates), alkaloids, furanofuran lignans, and free amino acids such as γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA), tyrosine, arginine, and glutamine. Although the sesquiterpene components of the volatile oil are believed to be responsible for most of valerian's biologic effects, it is likely that all of the active constituents of valerian act in a synergistic manner to produce a clinical response.1 Research into physiologic activity of individual components has demonstrated direct sedative effects (valepotriates, valeric acid) and interaction with neurotransmitters such as GABA (valeric acid and unknown fractions).2,3

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2003/0415/p1755.html

Personally, I had an awful experience with Valerian.  It does not happen to everyone, but for some of us it exacerbates our withdrawal. But, what works for one may not work for another.

Some have tried melatonin, tart cherry, benedryl and other non benzo or Z drug prescribed meds to help.  Unfortunately, the latter has its own set of side effects and some of them must be tapered as well. 

I know how awful it is to go without sleep.  I went for months with only 1-2 hours sleep per night and I remember how it affected me.  I can happily say I now get around 5-6 hours straight, and once in a while I get 7 hours. It takes time for our bodies to heal from benzos, so I'm confident sleep will improve in time.

Have you had a chance to look at our insomnia board for tips and/or ideas?