Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

I am new and need support

[bl...]

Hello Everyone,

I happen to stumble upon your website after desperately seeking support and understanding about my dependency of Ambien. I have been on Ambien for about 6 yrs typically around 10 to 12 mg . Recently I successfully tapered down to 2mg (last week) but after falling into a bout of depression reverted back to 7mg. I am newly married and do not want this drug in my life. I see the physical changes it is having on my moods and my relationship. I will be physically reunited with my husband in about 6 weeks after being  physically separated for 7 months and I'm hoping to leave this drug in my past. I am frustrated with all the progress I made in the past 4 months and wonder if I can still get back on track? I feel very confused and would greatly welcome your advice and support

Hi blessed78:

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  There is plenty of information and support here to help you out.

best,

Draftsman

Blessed-Because Ambien works on simiar parts of the brain as benzos depression is associated with both Ambien and Benzo withdrawl. Just remember withdrawing from Ambien is a process just like benzo withdrawl. You're gonna have ups and downs. Hang on................BOX

Thank you for your words of encouragement!!!!!!!!!! It helps  :)

Can anyone offer me advice on how I should get back on track with regards with my dosage? I took me four months to get down to 2mg. Last week I reverted to 7mg and I'm wondering if I need to slowly lower my dosages or go right back to 2-3 mg? I would like to know what is the smartest way to taper back! 

Hi, blessed 78.

How have you been able to get doses of 2- 3mg and 7 mg?  I'm asking because I had 10mg tablets and was only able to get approximately 2.5mg pieces and that's how much I dropped every few weeks.  I think it would be better to taper down rather than just drop to 2-3mg but you could probably do it faster than you did the first time.  Ambien is very short acting and leaves your system quickly.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Hi Beeper,

Thanks for your advice. I look at the letter markings on the Ambien and use them when I taper to approximate. Please note this may not be the best way but it works. Have any of you experienced a rash on elbows when taking ambien? This has only recently started but it strongly correlates with my dosage? :(

Hi Blessed:

I tapered off 10 mg Ambien two different times.  The first time, I reduced to 5 mg. for two weeks, and then 2.5 mg. for two weeks, then off.  I had some sleepless nites, nite flushes, and some anxiety, but par for the course of getting off.  It lasted about 1 month and started getting better but very slowly better.  

My recent second taper experience was from May to Sept. 2010.  I went to 7.5 mg., 5 mg., 3.75 mg., 2.5 mg., 1.25 mg., and then off -- held the doses for two weeks each.  It was a three month taper.  But I was also taking .5 mg. ativan nitely.  But still had some sleep issues.  

Hope you can free yourself of this little nuisance sleeping pill.  You will develop tolerance and need to take more to get more sleep.  It is inevitable.   :pokey:  I started on 5 mg. and was up to 10 mg. in short time.  

God bless,

Rocko

Rocko,

Thank you for your post and response, it was very insightful. Your taper sounds pretty similar to mine. As off last night I was back down to 5mg of Ambien so hopefully I can bring myself back to 2.5mg by next week.

I hope everyone is staying strong and fighting the good fight!!!!!!!

Welcome Blessed78,

Glad to see members are giving you advice on getting off Ambien.  I am not real familiar with that one, but I wanted to offer you support.  I have seen other members here deal with Ambien so you found a great place for advice and comfort.  Take care!