a sleep question

[3a...]

[3a...]
This does not seem to happen at night, but when I take a nap or simply just cannot stay awake during the day, I will fall asleep for about 30 seconds only to awaken to horrible anxiety.  I just cannot take a nap without this happening everyday.  And subconsciencely, i'm afraid to go to sleep.  awful feeling. 

Exactly the same happens to me. I can be feeling perfectly fine and if I try to take a nap daytime I feel anxious and sometimes nauseous. So I have to force myself awake and then I feel worse than I did before trying to nap. And no, this doesn't happen to me at night!  I thought it was just me.  It's so annoying.

oh, the question.  does this sound familiar to anyone? :idiot:

it is so commom , there is a term for it  " toxic sleep"

[3a...]

oh it's terrible. and I never know how long that feeling is going to last.  I do the same thing too.  I force myself awake. 

Exactly the same happens to me. I can be feeling perfectly fine and if I try to take a nap daytime I feel anxious and sometimes nauseous. So I have to force myself awake and then I feel worse than I did before trying to nap. And no, this doesn't happen to me at night!  I thought it was just me.  It's so annoying.

[3a...]

Does this "toxic" sleep EVER go away.  I'm assuming it does.  IT's just a horrible feeling.  Weird feeling. 

thank you...

I have that same issue.  I cant take a nap and the couple times in the last 6 months or so that I tried, I wake up to panic, heart palpatrations, anxiety and major fear.  BUT I did take a nap a couple weeks ago and did it!!  I was so excited.  But when I tried it a few days later, couldn't do it.  When I go to bed at nite it doesn't happen.  I fear naps and will not try again.  So definitely sounds very common. 

It does go away, I had this too and I'm soooooo glad to be able to sleep without that fear anymore  :thumbsup:

When did it go away for you Star?  I'm 8 months and 2 weeks and this still happens.  :(

[3a...]

there must be a correlation here.  Everyone is saying it's when they take naps.  I wonder why and what this could be about NAPS.  I suppose it doesn't matter as it seems to be a wd symptom, but how do our brains know we are taking naps and not going to sleep for the night I wonder.  

I still want to know what it is about naps.   :pokey:

It happens to me at night. I have a feeling of intense fear right before I fall asleep and it is very frightening.  Then I am awake and start to panic.

The naps don't bother me as much.  I haven't started tapering yet, will see the md Thurs., but am tolerant with a lot of stress right now.  Just knowing what is ahead of me really messes with my head.  I wake up at 4 or 5 am every day and am in an absolute panic.  So far I have been able to pull myself together to get going in the am, but it is a huge effort.

I was really looking forward to the summer with my kids and discovered my tolerance to this drug, and that I am addicted, kinda blows you out of the water... to find out one day, oh by the way, I'm addicted to this drug and the wd are really difficult.  Great.

I hope your nap issues and all our sleep issues improve soon.  We deserve some peace.

Shiloh

I used to have toxic naps, but they have (mostly) gone away.  Even when I do occasionally have a yucky nap, it's not as horrible as it used to be--I'm just slightly jangly sometimes.  I figure our brains know it's a nap because of circadian rhythms--the brain knows when it's had it's regular nighttime sleep period or not.  A lot of people wake up from nighttime sleep feeling pretty anxious and revved up too--"morning anxiety".  But somehow toxic naps are worse/have a different quality.  I'm not a sleep expert, but my layperson's guess is that the brain "revs up" between sleeping and waking, and switching states like this is too stimulating for our GABA-deprived nerves.  I'm sure there's some reason why it's worse with a shorter sleep than a longer sleep.