Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

a sleep question

[e5...]

[e5...]
This does not seem to happen at night, but when I take a nap or simply just cannot stay awake during the day, I will fall asleep for about 30 seconds only to awaken to horrible anxiety.  I just cannot take a nap without this happening everyday.  And subconsciencely, i'm afraid to go to sleep.  awful feeling. 

Exactly the same happens to me. I can be feeling perfectly fine and if I try to take a nap daytime I feel anxious and sometimes nauseous. So I have to force myself awake and then I feel worse than I did before trying to nap. And no, this doesn't happen to me at night!  I thought it was just me.  It's so annoying.

oh, the question.  does this sound familiar to anyone? :idiot:

it is so commom , there is a term for it  " toxic sleep"

[e5...]

oh it's terrible. and I never know how long that feeling is going to last.  I do the same thing too.  I force myself awake. 

Exactly the same happens to me. I can be feeling perfectly fine and if I try to take a nap daytime I feel anxious and sometimes nauseous. So I have to force myself awake and then I feel worse than I did before trying to nap. And no, this doesn't happen to me at night!  I thought it was just me.  It's so annoying.

[e5...]

Does this "toxic" sleep EVER go away.  I'm assuming it does.  IT's just a horrible feeling.  Weird feeling. 

thank you...

I have that same issue.  I cant take a nap and the couple times in the last 6 months or so that I tried, I wake up to panic, heart palpatrations, anxiety and major fear.  BUT I did take a nap a couple weeks ago and did it!!  I was so excited.  But when I tried it a few days later, couldn't do it.  When I go to bed at nite it doesn't happen.  I fear naps and will not try again.  So definitely sounds very common. 

It does go away, I had this too and I'm soooooo glad to be able to sleep without that fear anymore  :thumbsup:

When did it go away for you Star?  I'm 8 months and 2 weeks and this still happens.  :(

[e5...]

there must be a correlation here.  Everyone is saying it's when they take naps.  I wonder why and what this could be about NAPS.  I suppose it doesn't matter as it seems to be a wd symptom, but how do our brains know we are taking naps and not going to sleep for the night I wonder.  

I still want to know what it is about naps.   :pokey:

It happens to me at night. I have a feeling of intense fear right before I fall asleep and it is very frightening.  Then I am awake and start to panic.

The naps don't bother me as much.  I haven't started tapering yet, will see the md Thurs., but am tolerant with a lot of stress right now.  Just knowing what is ahead of me really messes with my head.  I wake up at 4 or 5 am every day and am in an absolute panic.  So far I have been able to pull myself together to get going in the am, but it is a huge effort.

I was really looking forward to the summer with my kids and discovered my tolerance to this drug, and that I am addicted, kinda blows you out of the water... to find out one day, oh by the way, I'm addicted to this drug and the wd are really difficult.  Great.

I hope your nap issues and all our sleep issues improve soon.  We deserve some peace.

Shiloh

I used to have toxic naps, but they have (mostly) gone away.  Even when I do occasionally have a yucky nap, it's not as horrible as it used to be--I'm just slightly jangly sometimes.  I figure our brains know it's a nap because of circadian rhythms--the brain knows when it's had it's regular nighttime sleep period or not.  A lot of people wake up from nighttime sleep feeling pretty anxious and revved up too--"morning anxiety".  But somehow toxic naps are worse/have a different quality.  I'm not a sleep expert, but my layperson's guess is that the brain "revs up" between sleeping and waking, and switching states like this is too stimulating for our GABA-deprived nerves.  I'm sure there's some reason why it's worse with a shorter sleep than a longer sleep.