Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

what do you do for diarrhea

I have had really bad diarrhea lately, which I hardly ever have, maybe due to tolerance wd as I haven't started to taper yet.  Does anyone have any advice?  Is it ok to take immodium; I am afraid to leave the house.

Thanks,

Shiloh

I have Crohns Disease and have to take meds for it.  My dr prescribes me Imodium, Generic name is Loperamide.  I take them everyday, even if I wasn't on Benzos or tapering.  I am not a doctor, of course, but it works for me.

Be sure to keep hydrated by drinking lots of water, excessive diarrhea can cause dehydration pretty quickly.

I used it when my GI was bad... but I cut the pill in half.  In a way I felt my body was expelling the toxins, so I didnt want to slow that down too much... I only used it when it was truly intolerable.

Shiloh, I located these post for you. Imodium(loperamide) yes or no

« on: June 11, 2009, 01:53:27 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To control diarrhea from w/d. I know this is an opioid and wonder if it could make other w/d symptoms worse such as tinnitus mouth pain etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

last 3 years valium for bladder problem  2.5-5mg daily not taken every day

this year ativan .5 mg for stomach problem 2 months not taken every day a few days 1mg

last benzo taken 3/06 09  c/t

hawkeye

Buddie

More festivals...more picnics

Re: Imodium(loperamide) yes or no

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 02:24:30 AM » 

Hi,

I would try other things first:

BRAT diet= Bananas, rice, applesauce, toast

Mylanta or other OTC remedies.

Eliminate foods that cause it, spicy, etc.

Good luck

hawkeye AKA Chase

Check out the \"Off Topic\" blog:  \"Legal Aspects\"

Off klonopin cold turkey 10/08 after 8 years on!

seroquel free as of 7/16/09!

Tapering off effexor, now at 150 mg.(down from 300mg.)

Tapering zoloft, now at 25 mg.

samantha

Buddie

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 03:14:36 AM » 

Immodium is an opiate!???

Pepto bismol works for me just not too much bc then you have opposite problem.also make sure you stay hydrated gatorade water juice keep pumping it in

Benzo free 8/16/09. Take 50 mg dose of seroquel for sleep.I take a pediatric dose of zoloft as well (11 mg)

Beeper

BB Team

Acceptance lessens suffering.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 04:47:45 AM » 

I took Imodium a few times while tapering and didn't have a problem with it.  I really bumped up the fiber, too, and that helped as well.  And samantha's right about the importance of staying hydrated.  I couldn't find a site that said it's an opioid and it's apparently safe to take during pregnancy so I doubt it's harmful to taperers.   

On either klonopin or ativan ~20 years. On 2-3 mg ativan until 4/3/08.  Dry cut taper of .25mg every 2 weeks through 3/6 when I reached 1.25mg.  Started cutting .125 mg every 2 weeks since then.  Benzo free after ~20 years on 7/13/08!!!

About me and my role on the BenzoBuddies Team.

Please read this message before sending me a PM.

trlkly

Buddie

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 07:54:57 AM » 

Try Wikipedia. I think the problem is that we equate opiates with opioids/narcotics. Loperamide is not pychoactive. It does not cross the blood brain barrier. But it is similar in composition to opium, and thus is an opioid. Unlike benzos, it has been shown in long term studies not to not to be physically addictive.

It does produce tolerance, but so does stuff like Tylenol, which is probably the safest pain reliever in withdrawal.

.5 mg Klonopinat night for sleep anxiety, for at least 2 years

C/T'd Summer 2008. Reinstated 2 weeks later. Still lots of anxiety.

Aug 2008, put on Klonopin .5mg 3x day

Jul 2009: fairly quick taper

Aug 2009 benzo free

Feb 2010 bad panic on trip, became housebound

Aug 2010 Finally feeling myself

Sept/Oct 2010: setback

Celexa: 60mg, upped by bad doc. Later tried Effexor--horrible reaction. Reinstated to CElexa 40mg. Thought I forgot a dose, and wound up stuck on 45mg. If I go lower, I get withdrawals.

LibertyAdams

Buddie

Liberty & Peace For All

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 12:05:24 PM » 

I had a really bad bought if diarrhea in May when i was in the hospital and the idiot doctors lowered my k dose from 4mg to 3.75mg...arrrrghh...so freaking rediculous, arrogant and mean...but i digress.  I had 15 rounds of diarrhea  , it didn't seem like it would ever end; and of course the nurses don't show up to help.    So i  used a natural remedy that i read about on earthclinic.com. The remedy is Cream of Wheat.  I ordered some Cream of Wheat from the wonderful  hospital cafeteria; and it and like magic the diarrhea stopped asap!  I did have one more slightly loose movement (sorry to be gross) but i could tell it was kinda like a little bit of Cream of Wheat coming out of me (sorry about the gross description). And of course, the doc/nurse showed up to collect a sample (and maybe help?  ) after i helped myself.  That hospital stay was nothing short of torture  ; 33 thousand dollars worth of torture.  Again, i digress.    Anyhow, if you can't eat wheat or don't have any Cream of Wheat, i recommend checking out the website earthclinic.com and look at the many remedies for diarrhea; i feel very positive that a natural remedy listed there will help you.   

Of course, u can decide to take the OTC remedy like immodium; it's your decision; i don't judge anyones meds decisions (it's your journey and IMO you can take whatever you feel will be best for you). I just try to help and share what worked for me.

take care,

love, truck

Man the Cannons for Liberty

k to v cross over Fall 2010

Elavil/Amitriptyline (aka: Tryptizol, Laroxyl, Sarotex, Lentizol) dry cut taper using pill cutter:

Began 6.25mg taper per week 5 weeks ago. As of 2/13/11 @ 18.25mg Elavil down from 50mg.

Elavil taper done...last dose Sunday 5Mar2011. Yipee: good bye Elavil demon! Jumped from 6.25mg

Severely Anemic...who knows? I think it's w/d.

Have a great benzo/ashton doc. <3

Valium taper restarted Friday 10March2011; 3% cuts.

trlkly

Buddie

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 05:51:16 AM » 

Note that, even though I replied to this, I don't recommend taking it. I find it aggravates withdrawal when it wears off, as there's a bit of a rebound effect. I would definitely recommend trying less active substances first.

One thing that is working for me is Phazyme, which doesn't even go into the blood stream, but works straight in the stomach itself. It pretty much can't do anything. Of course, if you actually have diarrhea, and not just intestinal trouble, that probably won't help.

I also use Ginger/Chamomile tea as well, but, if you aren't doing the chamomile, a ginger tea is supposed to be useful.

.5 mg Klonopinat night for sleep anxiety, for at least 2 years

C/T'd Summer 2008. Reinstated 2 weeks later. Still lots of anxiety.

Aug 2008, put on Klonopin .5mg

I have been taking Imodium for the last 20 years, I didn't read thru this whole thread but its not a opiate.  If it is, it would be a narcotic and you wouldn't be able to buy it over the counter. 

Have you tried probiotics? There is a member here that has benefited from probiotics while they had this symptom. 

I had diarrhea until I started taking Source Naturals Digestive Enzymes with every meal and Natren Health Start probiotics.  I swear by them!