Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Things that once made you happy make you sad in w/d?

I'm a film buff. I used to watch everything. Modern, classic, domestic and foreign movies. Any time life got me down I liked to put on a good flick and pretend I was the director. I would escape for a while. Now I can't even watch opening credits without bawling. Same with books and music. I read a ton of books last year but I haven't been able to read anything in the six months since withdrawal started. And music makes me cry.

It feels like even the small things have been taken away by this mess. Have any of you experienced this? Does withdrawal make usually enjoyable things sad? Or have I just lost my mind...

Hi cdt85:

I moved your post.  Yes, you can expect it to be a while before you will be back to enjoying things the way you used to.  This was certainly the case for me.  Patience is the key.  You will eventually get back to enjoying things again with time.  Feel better.

Draftsman

Yes for me too.. I love photography and music, but it was hard to do these things when I was going thru my personal hell.

BUT, I must say that I did force myself to snap a few shots and play some music..

The key is to take baby steps and also try to find a good friend that understands, spend time with this person even when you feel like you can't...

That might help :) You also have all of us here! :)

Things that used to make me happy don't make me sad. I just don't get enjoyment from anything unless I am in a window. Back when I was in the depression pit little inconsequential things would set me off though.

I think the sadness can come from frustration.  We try to do activities that normally made us happy pre-benzos only to find ourselves unable to partake or derive the same feelings from it.  That can cause a form of short-term nostalgia.  I remember being frustrated to the brink of tears that I was unable to enjoy things that I used to, it made me feel like I lost who I was.  That in itself can make one very sad.

The good news is that this is just another withdrawal symptom and will pass with time.  Although when you recover you may find that your new outlook on life may make you appreciate certain activities over other ones. 

w/d has made me really emotional I guess. I went from crying maybe once a year to crying almost every day for the last few months. It's so weird that little things set me off. My birthday is in a couple of weeks and I'm really going to have a breakdown. I'll definitely appreciate every little thing if I survive this.

I cry a lot too.  Never used to that much.  I agree with the poster that mentioned the nostalgia we feel,  something we have lost, at least temporarily.  There seems to be a grieving process that some of us have to work through.  In a way, I think the crying is therapeutic,  a release of emotion that would just stay stuck inside.  We need to get rid of that stuff to move on I think.

Shiloh