Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

PLEASE ADVISE! Thanks!

[d1...]

[d1...]

In April I tapered to fast and I had to up dose to try to get stable.

I went from .5mg to .25mg over two weeks. To fast!

It was too much so I up dosed to .75mg for some relief for 1 day then went to .5mg and remained their for two weeks.

I felt ok, not great, so I started cutting and when I reached .44mg I decided to hold to be on the safe side. I felt it was catching up to me. This Tuesday June 7 will make two weeks at .44mg. 

I have taken my doses of liquid K twice per day (10am and 10pm) since I began this new taper.

I am physically stable. I have no physical symptoms except an occasional rapid heart rate that gets into the 90 bpm range.

Mentally I'm VERY depressed and I have anxiety on and off throughout the day but usually not as bad in the evenings.

I usually sleep 2-5 hours per night, I can exercise, I have an ok appetite.

The over rapid taper really shook me up and did a duzy on my confidence.

I feel apprehensive to start my taper again just yet because I have learned the hard lesson of going to fast. I just want to be sure to do it right this time.

Questions:

1. Based on this information what would be the safest thing for me to do: hold longer or cut?

2. And when I do cut should I cut by small daily amounts or by one big 5% or 10% cut and then hold until things settle?

I ask the second question because that is how i did it from 1mg down to .5mg and yes I felt it but when things settled I knew they were settled. I feel I don't know what is really happening with the small daily cuts

Sincerely,

Kris

[d1...]

It just sucks when no one even bothers to help when you ask even ask directly

thanks for nothing

Sorry about the delay Kris.  We had a surge of new topics and I think that pushed yours onto the 2nd page pretty quickly and not too many members look beyond the first page of topics often.

Based on the way you describe how you're feeling I would say you are ready to resume your taper.  Holding longer than 2 weeks might not do you that much good. The depression and anxiety will come and go as long as you are on klonopin and for awhile after you get off.

Some people find cutting small daily doses easier than cutting 5-10% every 1 to 2 weeks, while others find it harder.  I think you should be able to handle the 5-10% cuts over the daily cuts... but in your case I would probably wait 2 weeks.  If you start feeling confident again you can try to speed things up a bit, but just don't get too fast to the point where you symptoms get so intense that you feel the need to updose again.  Pretty sure you will avoid that at all costs.

Keep us updated on how things go.  Congrats on your progress thus far  ;)

Crono

Hi kxa1971:

I think Crono covered the bases pretty well for you there.  Could I please ask that you add a signature line to your profile.  This will help people understand where you are with your taper, and facilitate quicker responses.  Also, if you don't receive a response in a timely fashion, please use the "contact the moderation team" board and someone will get back to you.  There is no need for attitude.

Thanks,

Draftsman

Just a thought...should a moderator scold a new poster who is obviously in distress?  We are all struggling and sometimes the desperation we feel doesn't allow us to filter our remarks as well as we would like. 

Hang in there kxa. Don't be put off by delayed responses.  You will find people here who understand what you are going through and can support you in the process.  Keep your attitude.  A fighting spirit may save you!

OH NO!!! I log on for the first time in days and I find this...You were doing so well, WHAT is going on?!!!

I'm sending you a message now!

[d1...]

Some people find cutting small daily doses easier than cutting 5-10% every 1 to 2 weeks, while others find it harder.  I think you should be able to handle the 5-10% cuts over the daily cuts... but in your case I would probably wait 2 weeks.

Crono you say in my case I should wait two weeks....two weeks to do what?

Kris

[d1...]

FYI...when I made the post I PMed the thread to several moderators/administrators directly...I won't mention any names...and THEY still have not responded.

I'm a super nice and reasonable person. But it does suck to be ignored.

I do appreciate those of you who took the time to respond.

Kris

Just a thought...should a moderator scold a new poster who is obviously in distress?  We are all struggling and sometimes the desperation we feel doesn't allow us to filter our remarks as well as we would like. 

Hang in there kxa. Don't be put off by delayed responses.  You will find people here who understand what you are going through and can support you in the process.  Keep your attitude.  A fighting spirit may save you!

Hi LiberationArmy,

Yes most of our members are struggling, including our moderators.  Instead of "scolding" the moderator, perhaps it would have been better to offer assistance to kxa1971 instead. 

Pam

FYI...when I made the post I PMed the thread to several moderators/administrators directly...I won't mention any names...and THEY still have not responded.

Kris

Hello kxa1971,

We are a mutual support forum, we rely on the members to support each other, we couldn't sustain ourselves if this didn't happen.  For the most part, our members do a fantastic job of welcoming new members and helping the older members get through this by offering their support and empathy. 

I think you might have the wrong idea of what a moderators function is, this is from our main page in Team Roles:

Moderators keep the forum organized by moving threads to more appropriate boards, approve new accounts, help keep the peace and the community safe, and enforce rules where necessary

You will note that moderators are here to ensure the rules are followed, not to offer direct support of members.  For example, I'm an administrator of this forum, but I didn't taper, so my input on matters such as this would be limited since I have no practical experience.  We depend on the members to share their experience, this is what works.

I'm sorry your post wasn't answered in a timely manner, we've had some major changes in the team structure and we're still in the process of building back up again.  Hopefully more of your Buddies will stop by with their input.

I hope I've helped you understand a little better how this works.

Pam

Some people find cutting small daily doses easier than cutting 5-10% every 1 to 2 weeks, while others find it harder.  I think you should be able to handle the 5-10% cuts over the daily cuts... but in your case I would probably wait 2 weeks.

Crono you say in my case I should wait two weeks....two weeks to do what?

Kris

Hi Kris,

It sounds like you feel more comfortable with the big cut every couple of weeks vs the daily cuts, I would imagine that Crono was saying cut every two weeks rather than weekly because you've had some problems from that big cut you made.  Take it slow and easy.  ;)

[d1...]

It's all good. Seriously no big deal. I was just looking for advice and I got it. Thanks. :)

God bless,

Kris

Hey Kris,

You know you can always pm me or Amy and we'll take a look at your thread.

There's a right way to do everything, including a liquid taper. I tried a milk taper in 2008 with disastrous results because I went too fast and because I removed different numbers of mls every day depending on how I felt or how fast I felt like getting off that day. No good. My recent taper was times more successful.

You'll see that Amy, who was in a LOT of distress when she started is doing great as she's gotten down lower bc of how slow she's been going. I don't think the daily cuts are your problem. I think it's the speed of the taper.

However in this process we need to do whatever makes us most comfortable mentally. You can't complete a taper unless you feel strongly that what you're doing is the right thing. Otherwise you won't be able to put enough positive energy behind it. You can still do a "dry cut" taper using your liquid. I guess that would be a "wet cut" taper ^_^ Whatever you choose, slow down buddy! Rooting for you :)

Kris

Hi Kris,

Sorry that I did not reply sooner.

I am one of those you contacted. I don't know if you are aware, but I announced my retirement from forum management a few days ago (before your PM to me) - I've been doing this for too long, and am overwhelmed by too many disparate matters that needed my attention. So, I've turned over control of the forum to the team, with the Admins (Pam and Missy) in charge. Only today did I have the opportunity to work through my backlog of PMs. Many members have been waiting for a reply from me for much longer than you.

The system works the way Pam has explained it to you. Yours is a common misconception of how the community is organised. We operate a mutual support system; hence the name, Benzo Buddies. Anyway, I only came across your comments when catching up with PM correspondence today (from your PM'd link to this thread).

You should follow whichever method seems to cause you fewest problems. What's right for one member, is not right for another. It is unrealistic for most of our members to feel fine when tapering. It comes down to finding the best option for you, and trying to accept the discomfort. It will get better!

Take care,

Colin.