Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Going to dentist, very worried

I am going to the dentist soon and will probably require novacaine.  Does anyone know the effect of this on klonopin tolerance.  I've had some work done lately and had novacaine.  It made my heart race, but I was ok after that.  I am now further along in this mess and wonder if it's ok.  I've heard of carbocaine.  What is the difference and does it numb as well etc. Thanks.

Shiloh

most local anesthetics contain epinephrine (adrenaline) to stem bleeding from the area being worked on and to prolong the anesthetic effect, of course this also revs up the body too.  You can ask for an anesthetic that doesn't contain it, but you might require more shots if the work takes a long time.

You could opt for carbocaine without epi and be just fine.  I would imagine if you say that it is because of withdrawal that you don't want to use novacaine, they might make a fuss, it is probably easier to just say you have had bad reactions to it in the past.  In the end, they require "informed consent" so have to bow to your wishes, regardless of the reason.

There is all the info you could need here

http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/allergy-novacaine/

I have had to go to the dentist during this nightmare and asked for carbocaine...no problems whatsoever with the shot.  You should be just fine.

Donna

I, too, use carbocaine because I don't want the epi to interfere with my cns.  Works well.

Patty  xo

I've had to undergo several procedures during and after my taper which required regular Novocaine injections and I experienced no issues whatsoever.

Hope all goes well  :thumbsup: