Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

wired up after a decent sleep

[sl...]

[8f...]

Yes.

https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm#5

Sensory hypersensitivity. A characteristic feature of benzodiazepine withdrawal is a heightened sensitivity to all sensations - hearing, sight, touch, taste and smell. When extreme, these sensations can be disturbing. One lady had to stop all the clocks in the house because their ticking sounded unbearably loud; many have had to don dark glasses because ordinary light seemed dazzlingly bright. Some find that the skin and scalp becomes so sensitive that it feels as if insects are crawling over them. Heartbeats become audible and there may be a hissing or ringing sound in the ears (tinnitus - see below). Many people complain of a metallic taste in the mouth and several notice strange, unpleasant, smells which seem to emanate from the body. These sensations, including an unpleasant smell (which usually no-one else can detect) have been described in anxiety states in the absence of benzodiazepines. Like insomnia and panics, they are probably reflections of heightened activity in the central nervous system. Such hypervigilance is part of the normal fear and flight response which is damped down by benzodiazepines but undergoes a rebound during withdrawal.

These sensations return towards normal as withdrawal progresses, and some people are pleased with the new, seemingly extraordinary, clarity of their perceptions. Only in withdrawal do they realise how much their senses have been obscured by benzodiazepines. One lady described how thrilled she was when she could suddenly see individual blades of grass in her newly bright green lawn; it was like the lifting of a veil. Thus, these sensations need not give rise to fear; they can be viewed as signs of recovery.

Does anybody feel wired up in the morning after getting a decent sleep the night before?

Thanks naf, I wondered what was going on. It's horrible when all we want to do is have a decent sleep and then we get wired

[8f...]

A friend told me a word for it: twired: tired and wired. Sleep is so important. When my insomnia was so bad I couldn't properly think anymore.

Do you also have the vivid dreams? It's a part of Benzo recovery / withdrawal. I dreamed the most sophistaced Hollywood scrips! Also I had a dream where i was stuffing my face with pie, even though I don't really like pie. Oh, and the one where I was besties with Adele and we went to an amusement park like Dollywood, but in Adele's name. Hilarious.

Thanks naf, I wondered what was going on. It's horrible when all we want to do is have a decent sleep and then we get wired

My health coach told me that sleep uses up gaba and exercise helps use up glutamate.  Idk if it's true, but it makes sense to me  :)

Naf, I don't usually dream much except maybe when I'm in light sleep, last night it was like I was dead when asleep but today I've felt a bit wired, going out walking seemed to help. I hope I calm down before bed tonight.