Severe Anxiety

[Bu...]

Please advise! I have such severe anxiety now I feel like I'm going to get a heart attack! I'm taking homeopathic stuff but I think they're useless. Anything sets me off esp. issues regarding animals

(something I care deeply about.) I see a complete disregard for animals everywhere. My therapist is leaving for a months holiday.

Are you worried how you're going to be with your therapist going away for a month?  I wonder if this is adding to your distress? 

Right now you're in survival mode which means you'll need to use all of your strength to take care of you.  I know it goes against everything you stand for but you're in no shape to help anyone but yourself right now and this includes sweet animals.  I too have been involved in helping animals but they can't be your focus right now, you have to put on your oxygen mask before helping another living thing.  Once you get through this you'll be able to resume your good work but for now, please find a way to shut out the cruelty around you.

This process makes sure we see only the negative in the world, I promise when you recover you'll be able to find the good too.

Thank you, P. Yes, my therapist helps me vent like a friend wouldn't understand. You're right: I'm in survival mode. Trying to do animal activism now, like I used to, is killing me. I'm overwhelmed. Seeing packed meat at the store is something I can't handle ( I'm vegan). I have a stupid idea if "I look the other way" until I get better, the animals won't make it. Also, my memory is very poor. Don't know how to make it. Im desperate. Thank you for caring for animals.

Working on behalf of animals is an emotionally draining endeavor and it requires us to toughen our hearts so I'm afraid you're going to need to use those same self preservation techniques now.  The best way you can help them is to get better and doing that requires you to keep your stress as low as you can while you taper and recover.  I resumed my activities when I recovered until I had to slow down due to burnout, I'm sure you know how that is.  Now my efforts are on a much smaller scale but you never lose the love and desire to help.

I hope you can be okay with looking the other way for now, you're going to come out of this whole.  I hope you'll use us while your therapist is out of town.