Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

How do you know when it is over...?

[Bi...]

Just a quick question about withdrawal in general - how do you know when it is over?

I have had an afternoon where I am feeling grounded and more like myself - I had a terrible night sleep (a horrible nightmare that woke me up and then led to a few hours with horrible thoughts and things) but I managed to ground myself in the afternoon. I am feeling a bit more like myself and grounded today in general - though I have had a lot of tinnitus all day, and it is also leading up to that time of the month so hormones may be affecting how I feel (I also spent 6months tapering and have only been off it since March).

I don't know if I will have more dissociation and things in the next few days, and I often have challenges with my anxiety anyway, but just because I am feeling more like myself for one afternoon I am not naive enough to believe that I am free of all the withdrawal symptoms... has anyone found other ways that they can mark themselves as being more healed and things?

I knew without a doubt the day I recovered, I felt it and celebrated it but my experience is different than others here because it happened as soon as I stopped taking Ambien cold turkey, 14 months after I stopped Klonopin cold turkey.  The Ambien was keeping me sick and I didn't realize it so as soon as I stopped that, all of my symptoms disappeared.

I think you'll know when it happens, I felt peace and euphoria at the same time.  Even if you have some remaining symptoms once you get to that point, I believe the difference between what you're feeling now and what you'll be feeling then will be noticeable and you'll gain more and more confidence that you're there.

For me it wasn't so much an absence of physical symptoms as it was the being involved in my day-to-day life and not having benzo withdrawl taking up so much head space.  Benzos/benzo withdrawl became small and insignificant in my life and other things moved into that space and this was my indicator.