Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Hello there from the Caribbean

[ca...]

I started taking diazepam for MCS and Mold illness in 2017. I took it for 3 years on and off with no problems. I only took it when my symptoms were unbearable. But then diazepam stopped being sent to my country so I had to switch to Xanax. Because of the pandemic, that started to become scarce too. So I was switched to Lorazepam. And I think at this point I started becoming tolerant. My present dose is 2 mg a day. And Ive been taking it for a year. I havent started my taper yet. But I did try to decrease my dosage and accidentally kickstarted some wds and i had no idea what was going on. I just remember having extreme anxiety, panic attacks, depression and crying fits. I thought maybe it was the MCS and Mold Illness symptoms getting worse. But now I am realising I was in acute withdrawal. How long do you think it will take me to taper off 2mg Lorazepam?

Hello caribbeancatherine, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm sorry to hear you've been switched around so much, do you feel the doses you changed to were adequate?  Valium, Xanax and Lorazepam are very different in equivalence so its difficult to find the proper dose when switching.

The symptoms you describe sound just like benzo withdrawal, I'm not familiar with MCS and Mold Illness.

We typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks but believe a symptom based taper is best so you can hopefully remain functional. Holding between doses when things get rough sometimes happens so setting an artificial timeline for withdrawal is tough.

We'll be happy to help you with a taper, I'll provide some links to help you get started but please ask questions, we're here to help.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

The Ashton Manual