Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Severe anxiety

[Jm...]

I’ve been off benzo a month and did a taper for first 2 months of sobriety and this is still giving me so much anxiety I’ve tried so home remedies but need help… should I go to dr for help with this anxiety or what??? Been a month of hell!

Hello Jmb1153, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

How long were you on benzo's, which one and what was your dose?  We typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks in the hopes of staying functional but once off the drug it can take several months or years to recover.  This of course depends on many things so it's difficult to say when we recover since we're all different.

We've found that once off the drug and recovering its best to learn non medication coping skills since it seems like the meds turn on us, and distraction is a good tool as well.

We'll be happy to help you through this, we've all been there or are still going through it so you'll find lots of common ground.

Let us know how we can help, in the meantime I'll provide some links to help you get started.

Pamster

Four Phases of Withdrawal-Where Are You?

The Ashton Manual

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

I was on colonopin for 5 years went to a medical detox was horrible they didn’t even taper me ..went regular care physician and he tapered me off with Librium for 3 weeks and it’s been a month I still have crippling anxiety I dunno what to do hard to talk in meeting and work is akward help lol

It sounds like your taper was pretty rapid, what was your starting dose?  Talking was difficult for me, in fact being around people was hard, we're so uncomfortable in our own skin we can't be comfortable around others. 

Benzo induced anxiety is the worst, I'd never even experienced anxiety until benzo's, and I've heard from other members how much worse it is than the regular stuff but mine went away when I recovered so hopefully yours will too.