Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

The standard 10% reduction

[re...]

I am a little confused with the 10% decrease situation.  I read here somewhere that you decrease 10% from your initial dose and not the current dose you are on.  This doesn't make sense to me because if that was the case, when I get down to 1.5mg of V then I would jump.  I am basing this on my 15mg c/o and have basically wiped out the K and Lor decreases.  I would think it would be 10% of initial dose.  Can someone clarify.

Thanks again to all!!

I don't know the official answer, but I cut 1/8th of my original dose each time. So go with whatever cut works for you. I just don't see a compelling reason to cut a smaller amount each time (as in 10% of last dose). But then again I was not on benzos long term and don't know what that withdrawal is like, and grateful for this fact!

I never got a straight answer to this from anyone :)

Usually, the way it works, is that you SHOULD cut 10% of your last dose (smaller each time), but the feasibility of this is just not there. It would literally take you forever if you did not speed it up at some point. Ashton does it at 10mg of V, that's the last cut (10mg to 9mg) you make that is 10% of your last cut.

In practice, when dry cutting, you usually cut around 10% of your original dose each time until you are done. This is a more harsh way to do it.

When titrating, usually you remove a daily amount -- which is generally in the range of 10% in about 10 days of your original dose and also stays fixed.

I think it would be best to go with 10% of your original dose, don't recalculate every single cut or you'll go nuts, but DO slow down the rate if things start getting too bad. Speeding up (by keeping the reduction rate fixed) at the last 10mg of V is usually a recipe for a painful end to the process.

I too have never got a straight answer for this one...I keep trying to find it, but everyone has a different opinion. 

I crossed over from Clonazepam to Diazepm (Valium) after initially tapering from Clonazepam (that did not go well)...but once i crossed over, things settled a bit and became slightly more tolerable, then once I stayed at 15mgs for a few weeks and felt stabilized, I then started to make 1mg cuts every week.  I am  now down to 5mgs (hopefully 4mgs by Thursday) and I've only once had to extended the taper out and that was by only 2 days.  I don't feel great...I'll admit.  I have my share of anxiety, panic attacks, fears and physical s/x...but I still find it MUCH better than tapering from Clonazepam. 

I'm not saying my taper plan is for everyone...a lot of people have to cut ether less often or in smaller doses, but I just followed the Ashton Manual which states 1mg cuts every 7-14 days, and I've managed to do it every 7 days.  Some don't agree w/ her method, but she's been doing this for YEARS so I figure she must know what she's talking about.  I think it also depends on what your willing to live with s/x wise.  I think some people would curl up on the sofa all day w/ my s/x, but I have a kid who depends on me and I am also VERY lucky to have a lot of support so on really bad days. I have people who "pick me up" when I'm down.  I don't know if I'd be doing this well if I didn't have the support I've been given...I can pretty much guarantee I wouldn't.  I feel very lucky. 

The best advice is to just listen to your body.  I thought when I started the taper from 15mgs  "I'll TRY cutting by 1mg every 7 days, and if it becomes too much right away, then at least I tried and I'll make smaller cuts"...and now I'm already down to 5mgs!  TRY to think positive (I know it's not an easy thing to do w/ all of this), and just trust yourself.  You know your body/mind best so do what makes you feel comfortable.  You will do GREAT...all the best!!!!!  :yippee:

Schatje

Thanks to all!  I am just going with the 1mg every week as long as I can handle the w/d.  I went off of Ashton also and I thought it read 2mgs every 1-2 wks and thats the way I wrote out my taper plan for my dr to have.  Not that he wont work with me changing it. 

Another questions.......if I am not mistaken, Ashton states getting rid of the morning dose once you get to the 5mg, anyone want to chime in and let me know when they went to just a one dose a day.  I think the nite dose is the best to hold on to for the sleep purpose. 

Thanks guys!

[34...]

renee,

You would cut 10% hold there 2 weeks or whatever timing you prefer or how your sx's are. Then from that previous cut, cut 10% more. This can vary because people sometimes cut a bit under under 10%, or it has to be rounded off.. especially with smaller doses.

Take care,

S#

Thanks to all!!  I am at the point trying the 1mg for a week and hope to stay the course until my dose gets lower.  If the cuts catch up with me, to the extreme, I will hold.  Its such a crap shoot to determine what to do.  I will listen to my body and go from there.