Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Anyone stay on zopiclone for only 7 days and become dependent?

[Su...]

For two and a half years I would fall asleep relatively quickly, and then wake up after four hours with a jolt and be unable to fall back asleep. I take it now that this was only a mild-to-medium case of insomnia, but I was extremely frustrated at the time. I took a 2-month (!!) prescription of zopiclone out of desperation. I had been ending up in the ER periodically the last few months out of leg pain and interactions from mild sleep medications and was desperate to stabilize my life.

As has been the case with many of us, I had no idea how addictive zopiclone would be. I am a 130-pound woman, in my 20s, and took 7.5mg of zopiclone daily for only one week before I realized that my intense anxiety was a product of the drug. I tapered for two days, (at 1/2 and a 1/4 dose) and went off it completely. I can't believe I was prescribed this for two whole months!

The memory issues and intense mood swings abated after one week, but my loss of appetite and sleeplessness have remained. It's been just under two weeks. Believe it or not, I started a new job just three days before taking these horrible pills. I am not wondering if I should quit? I have been taking a mixture of valerian, melatonin, motherwort, magnesium, and GABA pills to fall asleep at night for a few hours, but am now wondering if the quickest path to recovery is to suffer through the sleeplessness nights herbals-free. Should I quit my job? Sounds like there's no telling how long this recovery process will be.

Grateful to hear from anyone else who has experience recovering from this z-drug, and who was a short-term user like myself.

Hello Sutnik, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm sorry to hear the Zopiclone has had such a devastating impact on your life but you're not alone in your struggles, Zopiclone seems to be the worst of the z-drugs in terms of dependence and recovery but the good thing is recovery is possible.

I'm not sure about the supplements, its tough to know how much we should bombard our already over sensitized central nervous system or if we should leave things be and let our body do what they do best, heal itself.

I'll give you some links so you can reach out to others about your concerns, we're glad you found us.

Pamster

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

Alternative Therapies & Supplements

Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone