Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Xanax user 16 years

[1R...]

I have been on Xanax over 15 years majority of the time 90%  just taken at night 1mg. Very rarely I’d take 0.5 during day. I’m going benzo buddies for help to taper and questions about my symptoms. I have started to have twitching all over my body and now muscle jerks and bad upper abdominal pain. I assumed it was benzo related after reading. This started without even tapering.

Hello 1Ready :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies

I am glad that you joined, you will get plenty of support here.  I am sorry you are having a rough time, I had many symptoms before starting my taper.  We have a great community, our members have been through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal, and will share their experiences with you.  Being here among those who understand can make this process a little easier to get through.    Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

Tapering slow can help to minimize withdrawal effects.  It is generally recommended to taper no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days. This is a guideline and it is ok to adjust this schedule for your own comfort.

The Ashton Manual, is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s  have on our body.  It provides tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (TaperPlans)

Xanax Support group

Please take time to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on Xanax for 17 years!  I have failed to taper in the past as well.  I switched from Xanax to Valium to taper and that has helped me to become successful.  It's still not easy, but easier for me this way.  Not everyone can tolerate Valium and it also can be sedating and cause depression, but worth researching and looking into if you would like to taper from Xanax.