Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Help! 5 months after concussion - need advice please

[Be...]

Help! I was almost 24 months off & about 90% healed & then I banged my head, got concussion. 5 months later I have post traumatic migraine state, post concussion syndrome & I haven’t been able to distract, watch TV, read, listen to the radio or music, hafe long conversations. I’m going mad - if I haven’t already,  I see a psychiatrist on Monday as I’m at the end of my tether.  Help,  has anyone had any positive responses from any meds? This is quite literally life or death now & I’ve got nothing left to do this bedridden no distraction thing every day. I’m almost losing my mind.  Please help,

Edit: Title

Hello Bess.  I have walked in your shoes because a bang to my head in 2018 started me down the slippery slope of benzo madness!  I hit my head on a nightstand from a sitting position in June of 2018, briefly faded out and woke up seconds later not knowing what had happened to me.  What was probably a small concussion which should have been treated with Tylenol, turned into a hailstorm of Valium being given for the unrelenting headaches I had.  The headaches were awful and constant.  Some days I felt like I had a band around my head, other days I felt like my brain was on fire, other days it felt like my head was buzzing.  All sorts of strange sensations ebbed and flowed until my third neurologist determined that all the Valium that I had been taking for over 14 months had damaged my brain and the headaches were the result of this injury.  Finally I am seeing a reduction in the headaches, so you will heal, too.  I only took Tylenol when the headaches were so bad I could only lie in a dark room very still.  Several neurologists tried to tell me I had migraines, but no migraine medicine ever helped, and I finally accepted that the headaches were nothing but a brain injury!  Luckily, my third young neurologist was very benzo injury savvy.

I tried to contact you recently but did not get a reply!  I miss you😍

GG

Bess:

Unfortunately, I cannot offer you any advice on the migraine/concussion situation, but I was so glad to see your post.  I am so, so sorry you are struggling so much.  It will be very interesting to see what the psychiatrist has to say.  I can only imagine that the concussion complicated your healing from benzos; almost like a double whammy having two brain injuries.    Please know that I am thinking about you and hoping upon hope that you will feel better soon.  I know that you will heal from all of this trauma/injury, but saying that is not super helpful when you are hanging on by a thread.    Was it helpful for you to be off of Benzo Buddies for a while?  We sure did miss you!    There are several of us who are around 24-27 months off that are struggling at the moment.    We are doing our best to keep each other encouraged!    Please keep us posted on what the psychiatrist has to say!!!

Bess,

I'm so sorry to hear how much you are struggling. I'm sure this will heal with the right amount of time. But the frustrating thing is how much time. And I'm so sorry that you feel like you're barely hanging on I know that feeling right now because I'm in a very horrific wave. I am unable to watch television or distract with anything much to get through a day. So I completely empathize with everything you're going through. Let us know what the doctor says. Hoping he can be of some kind of help. We will get through this. It's not easy but we are strong and we can make it. One minute, one hour, one day at a time. Hugs!

LiveLife

Oh, Bess, I don’t know what to tell you.  Have you seen your doctor recently, if so, what does he/she suggest for all your awful symptoms?  Are you still living in the same place and alone?

Hugs,

GG

My GO fired me as I didn’t want to take Ativan or go to the hospital - I have been so so disassociated that I called a client & begged them to come over - I did this to an ex staff member too & was then totally inappropriate with outrageously bad behavior.  I  smothering & clingy & completely out of touch with reality most of the time,  my anxiety is through the roof. I am in desperate need of professional help & don’t know if I can wait for the psych appointment on Monday at 6.  I called my back doctors receptionist just to have someone to talk too - what is happening to me??? I so so wish I didn’t hit my head - I was doing so well up until that point. I had to start taking melatonin & anti histamine to sleep - I’m taking double the dose so I get more than 4 hours sleep.  Being insure my head for 5 months has become unbearable - please please please help. Thank you for your kind words.  I hope you are ok xxxx

Hi Bess, so sorry you are still not doing well. I just looked up they have a crisis care team for people with severe mental health problems in Sydney which  I think is where you live. Just typed in crisis care team Sydney brought up several numbers.They have similar over here. Please give them a ring it seems like you need urgent support from professionals. The middle of the night over there but please give them a call when you wake up xx

Good information, Leann.  Bess, we all want you to get some much needed help, so try what Leann has suggested.  Please keep us posted…..we are here for you🥰🥰🥰💐

Hi Bess, so sorry you are still not doing well. I just looked up they have a crisis care team for people with severe mental health problems in Sydney which  I think is where you live. Just typed in crisis care team Sydney brought up several numbers.They have similar over here. Please give them a ring it seems like you need urgent support from professionals. The middle of the night over there but please give them a call when you wake up xx

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your help - I have been utilising the crisis care team for a couple of months.  Thank you so

Much for all your help & support everyone.  I’m struggling so so bad - banging my head, perrimenause & BWD & a neck injury was the perfect storm. As much as I’ve been fighting it - I need t get onto medication pronto.  (Not Benzo’s but something else like anti depressants or a mood stabllizer or something). Any suggestions would be very welcome.  Thanks xx

Bess:  Just checking on you!  I know you have an appointment with a psychiatrist on Monday.  Hopefully, that appointment will be helpful.  It does sounds like there may be something else going on other than the typical benzo symptoms. Please let us know how you are doing! 

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your support - thank you.  I’m not myself & the isolation & not being able to distract has done me in. I’m scared to go to hospital as the mouse & light is too much for my concussion & will set me back - I know I have to go though..  I’m trying to hold out to my psych appointment tomorrow night. I’ve waited too long, what ever you do don’t bang your head in BWD. I am scared this is BWD & not concussion as I’ve been taking anti histimines & melatonin & my symptoms are worse so I’m retry sure this is more BWD - which makes me frightened about going n meds to help - I have to though. I have gone too far. I repeat myself over & over. I beg prime my T get off the phone or to leave. I’m embarrassed at wh I’ve become.  I want to be better so so badly, don’t hit your head what ever you do:.  Thank you for your help

Bess I am really sorry you are going through this..It is inhumane..I know you are a highly positive person and to see you asking for help is strength.. Meaning you have tried to keep your head above water but at times we all need help and there is nothing wrong with that....I really pray you find something that helps..Have you considered some supplements and herbs... Started using some myself sporadically and they have been of great help...

Bexlan

Bess I am really sorry you are going through this..It is inhumane..I know you are a highly positive person and to see you asking for help is strength.. Meaning you have tried to keep your head above water but at times we all need help and there is nothing wrong with that....I really pray you find something that helps..Have you considered some supplements and herbs... Started using some myself sporadically and they have been of great help...

Bexlan

Thanks so much. I’m in hell. Not being able to distract is beyond ghastly.  Im facing homelessness.  I have no idea what is BWD & what is concussion. I will

Literally try anything - could you please note down the supplements & herbs that are healing please? I’m in perimenopause so it’s the perfect storm - literally.  Help anyone - I’m in desperate need of a magic wand. I can’t go to the mental health ward as the lights & sound are wayyyyyy too much for this damn concussion. God almighty please please help me.  X

Bess,u are spiraling. Dig deep right now, find the person that u know you are. Grab onto her and don’t let go. Do not believe the lies ur brain is telling u. It’s all bullshit. Hold onto who you are and fight to get back to that place u need to be.

Lots of us have been there where u are right now. I know I have. But I knew it wasn’t me, that I was still in there somewhere and I just needed to find the right way out. Well I did, and trust me, I never thought I’d get there. But I am back.

I think about the words in the poem by Dylan Thomas. Don’t go gentle into the night, rage rage against the dying of the light.

Roughly translates to…. Fight for ur life.  Do not give in. Never give up.

Go to the dr and get help honey. There is no shame in getting help. Brave people ask for help. But just asking random people on a forum is not a good choice for u right now. We are not mental health professionals, we are damaged souls just like u.

You need the right people, right now.

Bexlan

Thanks so much. I’m in hell. Not being able to distract is beyond ghastly.  Im facing homelessness.  I have no idea what is BWD & what is concussion. I will

Literally try anything - could you please note down the supplements & herbs that are healing please? I’m in perimenopause so it’s the perfect storm - literally.  Help anyone - I’m in desperate need of a magic wand. I can’t go to the mental health ward as the lights & sound are wayyyyyy too much for this damn concussion. God almighty please please help me.  X

Holy basil for the hormones and stress...To atleast help you wind down and sleep...

I started magnesium glycinate and taurine...They are of great help in my opinion was tired of waiting for gaba receptors and my nervous system to recalibrate....

I am 27 months off..I would discuss the options with my doctor and see...But in my opinion they have helped...