Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Hey there

[Su...]

I’ve been on .5 mg xan for a little over 10 years and I’m getting ready to switch to Val and then start tapering. Super scared but going to try it. Came here looking for support and to find information on using MJ to ease the process.

Hi SummerSunSet!

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We’re glad you found us and I’m happy to hear you’re ready to taper. I know in the beginning it’s scary and overwhelming but if you take it slow it should be manageable. How many times a day are you dosing Xanax? Are you experiencing interdose withdrawal? Generally we recommend a taper of 5-10% of your current dose over a two week period but it’s best to let your symptoms guide your taper rate. This should allow you to remain functional while tapering. I’m not sure if you’re familiar with The Ashton Manual, an authoritative source on benzo withdrawal?

Here are some links to get you started:

For tapering advice you can ask here: Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

For support on withdrawal symptoms you can post here: Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Please look around and start posting when you’re ready!

jelly baby

Hi Good Morning.  I take .75 mg (approximately because I have to cut the pills) each morning at 7:20 and that is it for the day.  I had been at just .50 mg a day for a little over 10 years and it has been pooping out so I upped it about a month ago.  I have found that I do have withdrawals even with the increase.  I have read and pretty much studied the Ashton Manual.  At my last doctor appointment I told him I want to go off the Xan and use the Ashton Manual and he gave me the "side eye".  He didn't know what I was talking about.  After explaining it to him he was agreeable to work with it.  So he said in August he wants to do a gradual move to Val and when I stabilize on that I will start my taper.  I bought a scale so I can cut and weigh the pills.  I need to study and figure out how to mathematically do the cuts.  But I do want to use MJ to help with the tapering withdrawals.  I'm staying positive and optimistic that I will get through this and be off these pills.  This site was recommended to me to help me with support and questions and experiences of going through this mess.  :)

The withdrawal you're experiencing might be interdose withdrawal. Xanax has a very short half-life meaning it stays in your system relatively short so your body starts to crave it before the next dose. Many people here dose Xanax multiple times a day. If it poops out you might want to consider splitting your dose.

It's good to know you've done some research already. I just want to mention that you don't have to cross over to Valium to taper. Many members successfully taper directly from Xanax. I'm just mentioning it because when I came here I thought I had to cross over.

And I'm super happy you have such a supportive doctor. A lot of people struggle to get their prescribers on board.