Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Shingles anyone?

[Ga...]

I have not been feeling well for a couple of weeks, so have been undergoing some major tests, which so far have not shown anything concerning.  My symptoms are all over the board, including GI, female, and overall flu like feeling.  I noticed this morning that I was having some itching and pain on the right side of my back, so hubby took a look.  He took a photo and upon first look, I thought it looks very similar to the rash I got twice within a couple of weeks in the 1990’s.  Sent the photo to my GP this a.m., and he is suspicious that it is shingles.  I have also had fever blisters on my lower lip that has been pretty consistent for several weeks.  I remember feeling very sick when I had shingles before.  Have also had increase in nerve tingling throughout my body, which is not normal for me.

I was put on two antibiotics within the past two weeks as my OBGYN thought I had a serious bacterial infection in my female parts and abdomen, and she was worried it could turn into sepsis!  So, my GP had started me on Ceftin, which I tolerate well, then the OB put me on Clindamycin, which I took five days, then stopped as I was having what I thought were side effects.  Now, not sure where this all leads, but if I have shingles I should get better within a week or so.  Also, I will be having a pelvic sonogram tomorrow to Duke out anything female related is going on!

Thanks for listening!

GG

Yes I had shingles before wd.  I had blisters on my back in wd which were not shingles.  I had them tested before treatment. No shingles  I would get it tested before treating anything.  The achey burning tingling nerve pain I still have and have had since day one.  It has gotten better and I force myself to do life with it.  You have had so many tests and been on antibiotics which may or may not have aggravated your sx.  Get tested before taking stuff based on a picture or an opinion.  How is your bloodwork?  Get tested and if it comes back okay then like the rest of us chalk it up to wd.  Remember health anxiety is a sx.  You feel pain and your brain sends you searching for a solution.  Acceptance and distraction. 

Good points, but my doctor says I have shingles and I am 75 so more serious.  What, if anything, did you take for your shingles?

GG

Acyclovir but I was not in wd.  I was covered in blisters and sores on my back side of my body.  When I had blisters on my back in wd they tested me the same day I went in and they looked nothing like the shingles. My shingles  Were swollen and red looked like welted blisters.  I still would get it tested.  No matter what the doctor said.

No, I did not have the vaccine but will when I feel better!  Trying to keep the panic button under control!!!!

GG

GG, I have shingles right now.  I'm at day 11 and am on Valtrex.  Mine, unfortunately, are inside my mouth on my tongue and throat.  I've also also got a patch on my  left cheek and lip.  I was really sick the first week - pain in my teeth and jaw, chills, low grade fever,  swollen glands, nerve tingling on the left side of my face that went up to my eye (which they worried about).  Before I went to the dr I was up all night one night with panic attacks.  I haven't had a shingles shot.  Fortunately  I was able to start the AV within 72 hrs which made a big difference.  I'm 70. 

I hope you feel better soon.

Oh my gosh, Gitfittle, this sounds awful!  My husband had shingles on his forehead over his right eye some years back and was very scared.  Luckily, it did not spread and he recovered with just a small scar as a reminder. 

I am re-evaluating what Upperleft advised as I have not been tested for shingles, and although the rash is suspicious and I have felt pretty bad for a week or so, my doctor was not 100% sure.  I have other health issues going on so have decided to wait and see if anything else shows up on my last test, a pelvic sonogram tomorrow at noon.  I seem to pick up all sorts of viruses when I overdo anything……food, exercise, gardening, house work.  Just had a wonderful month in a big window, and actually posted on May 5th that I was almost ready to write a success story.  Nope not yet!

Please keep me posted, if you like, and in the meantime, I will keep you in my healing prayers.

Hugs,

GG

Thank you GG!  I’m feeling much better today. 😀 I pray they get yours sorted out soon and that it’s nothing serious. I also have a lot other health issues (ME/CFS among other things) I’m sure the stress of benzo WD affects our other conditions.  In time I do believe we’ll do much better.  🙏🏻❤️‍🩹. Take care.

Happy to hear that you are feeling better!  I will check in with you periodically to give support and encouragement!!!

GG

Thank you GG.  I might add that if you just noticed the itching and rash on your backside today, time is of the essence in treating shingles.  If antivirals are started within the first 72 hours of the appearance of the rash, the outcome is much better.  Most drs don’t bother with tests as the results can take several days to get back. They should be able to tell by looking at it coupled with your symptoms.  I went to urgent care because my drs office didn’t return my call right away.  Im so glad I did did because  the AV’s helped with the pain as well as preventing it from spreading.  At our age shingles can be dangerous. 

Shingles often come as a result of some kind of stress- physical or emotional. 

Oh, and it is possible to get shingles internally in the organs. 

Please let us know what you find out.

GG:  This is not good news.  I am hoping it is not shingles.  I agree with others who recommend getting tested.  If it isn't shingles you don't want to to on the anti-viral medication.

Please keep us posted about this and your sonogram tomorrow.

So sorry you are not feeling well.

Lisa

Hi Sandy.  Well I don’t have shingles but I have somewhat of a concerning female issue:  Over a few weeks time I have been experiencing some GI issues, along with nausea, bloating, and changing bowel habits.  I was put on two antibiotics as my OBGYN thought I had a bacterial infection in the gut and the pelvic region.  I felt better for a few days, but began to feel bad again today, so my GP put me back on the Ceftin for five days, hoping that I will respond to this antibiotic that I do well with.  I also had an abdominal and pelvic cat scan and a complete CBC last week.  Both were normal.  However my OBGYN said she wanted me to have a pelvic sonogram, which I had yesterday.  I got the results today and the scan revealed a thickening of the uterus!  Just curious as to whether you have ever had such a finding?  We are both about the same age and I know that the post-menopausal years can bring on different female issues. I have no bleeding or discharge, just the pelvic pain.  I would to get your input.

Now, how are you doing?  Still feeling good and swimming the lazy days if summer away!?

Hugs from GG

GG, I’m happy to hear it isn’t shingles but so sorry to hear you’ve got other troubles.  I hope it turns out to be nothing serious and that you feel better soon.

I have not been feeling well for a couple of weeks, so have been undergoing some major tests, which so far have not shown anything concerning.  My symptoms are all over the board, including GI, female, and overall flu like feeling.  I noticed this morning that I was having some itching and pain on the right side of my back, so hubby took a look.  He took a photo and upon first look, I thought it looks very similar to the rash I got twice within a couple of weeks in the 1990’s.  Sent the photo to my GP this a.m., and he is suspicious that it is shingles.  I have also had fever blisters on my lower lip that has been pretty consistent for several weeks.  I remember feeling very sick when I had shingles before.  Have also had increase in nerve tingling throughout my body, which is not normal for me.

I was put on two antibiotics within the past two weeks as my OBGYN thought I had a serious bacterial infection in my female parts and abdomen, and she was worried it could turn into sepsis!  So, my GP had started me on Ceftin, which I tolerate well, then the OB put me on Clindamycin, which I took five days, then stopped as I was having what I thought were side effects.  Now, not sure where this all leads, but if I have shingles I should get better within a week or so.  Also, I will be having a pelvic sonogram tomorrow to Duke out anything female related is going on!

Thanks for listening!

GG

Why did they suspect bacterial infection ?

Could also be reactivated ebv