Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Hi everyone!

[Li...]

Hello,

I am happy to be here. I have been on clonazepam since November 2021 and am having difficulty coming off of it. Every time I taper, I get horrible neurological symptoms and body zaps that the only thing that helps a bit is alcohol. Alcohol is my primary addiction, so I'm desperate to get off both.

I hate this drug.

Thank everyone for being here and sharing your stories <3

Hello Lioness007, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm sorry to hear you've had difficulty coming off of the Clonazepam, we can certainly relate.  Your symptoms are common and the reason why drinking alcohol helps with them is because both substances hit the same part of the brain, alcohol is quite often referred to as liquid benzo's.  My suggestion would be to quit the alcohol first then the Clonazepam because when we drink our willpower goes out the window, at least mine did before I stopped drinking.  The good news is alcohol doesn't need to be tapered, you can quit that cold turkey then you can taper the Clonazepam after that.  I know, easier said than done.

We suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms will allow so you can hopefully remain functional. 

I'll provide some resources for you to look at plus some links to the forum boards but please let us know what you need, we're here to help.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

The Ashton Manual