Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Feel horrible after eating

[28...]

[28...]

I basically feel like I'm going to kick the bucket, pass out, or need to go to the ER within an hour after eating.

I've tried cutting out carbs, histamine, etc. It is literally just the act of eating-period. Even drinking water activates something and then my body feels agitated, like I have restless leg syndrome but throughout my entire body, pain, fatigue, etc.

I'm terrified this isn't withdrawal and I have some weird disease that no one will be able to identify, and I'll be stuck like this forever. I've had tons of testing done and they all come back fine.

Please help. I need to know this will go away. I'm tempted to go back on meds just to get rid of this and I don't want to. I'm 5 months off.

Need reassurance.

I had the exact same problem. Some foods were worse than others, things with a lot of MGS (soy sauce) or things with a lot of sugar were the worst but any food was liable to cause the reaction.

It eventually passed but took awhile. Maybe a year?

This is a very common symptom.

This is happening to me as well.  After my steroid setback over 7 months ago I was not able to eat ANYTHING without severe, severe symptoms.  All the nerves in my body burned, my chest constricted, I had severe 7 hour panic attacks, severe anxiety.  I thought I was going to die each and every time I ate.  I lost over 30lbs - and I was already thin.

It is still pretty bad but not as bad as even a few months ago.  I learned quickly to only eat protien and fats - an even stricter diet than Keto.  I can also see how this is going to take another 6 months to heal so I can confirm Nathan’s estimate of about a year. 

There is hope.  This will pass.  In the meantime just hang in there. 

[28...]

This is happening to me as well.  After my steroid setback over 7 months ago I was not able to eat ANYTHING without severe, severe symptoms.  All the nerves in my body burned, my chest constricted, I had severe 7 hour panic attacks, severe anxiety.  I thought I was going to die each and every time I ate.  I lost over 30lbs - and I was already thin.

It is still pretty bad but not as bad as even a few months ago.  I learned quickly to only eat protien and fats - an even stricter diet than Keto.  I can also see how this is going to take another 6 months to heal so I can confirm Nathan’s estimate of about a year. 

I'm oddly having severe chest constriction right now. I seriously had a moment where I thought, "Am I going to stop breathing?" I'm so over this. It's encouraging to hear it goes away, though.

I feel like this has been a newer symptom for me, or, that my DPDR isn't quite as bad so I'm more aware of what's going on. It would be great if my mind and body could keep up with each other.

Hi Zara,

I have not had many issues just after eating, except mild anxiety and benzo belly…

However, just last week, after eating a meal in my backyard, within 5 mins after finishing, I literally thought I was going to pass out…it felt like I wasn’t getting enough oxygen to my brain, like there was an obstruction somewhere in my body… I had instant nausea from head to hands, followed by intense palpitations, heart rate of about 130-140, and it lasted about an hour… initially I thought it was the food I ate, but because of how it occurred, I suspected it was withdrawal… I was so agitated with tremors that I could not believe it was withdrawal… but I guess it also affects gaba in our stomach, so anything is possible…

I am also 18 months post Ativan…

Karla

[28...]

Hi Zara,

I have not had many issues just after eating, except mild anxiety and benzo belly…

However, just last week, after eating a meal in my backyard, within 5 mins after finishing, I literally thought I was going to pass out…it felt like I wasn’t getting enough oxygen to my brain, like there was an obstruction somewhere in my body… I had instant nausea from head to hands, followed by intense palpitations, heart rate of about 130-140, and it lasted about an hour… initially I thought it was the food I ate, but because of how it occurred, I suspected it was withdrawal… I was so agitated with tremors that I could not believe it was withdrawal… but I guess it also affects gaba in our stomach, so anything is possible…

I am also 18 months post Ativan…

Karla

I'm starting to genuinely buy that the gaba receptors in our stomach play a huge part in our symptoms. Sorry you had to go through this!

I too have a limited diet and affected with what I eat. With your limited diet, do you think about getting enough vitamins such as vitamin C? I take supplements but they also cause symptoms.

I used to have this symptom horribly, but solved it with digestive enzymes that I take with every meal that have nearly 100% fixed my food intolerance issues. They contain a probiotic strain that passively upregulates GABA which I'm nearly certain is why it makes such a huge difference.
  • Love 1

Alichino.  What were your symptoms?

Since so many are experiencing this I started a support group to share:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=269330.0

Oh my goodness, so many! Benzo belly/bloating, nausea, gas, stomach cramps, crazy allergic reactions to food (especially if it's spicy), GI/bathroom issues, you name it. Now I can eat anything and never have to worry about it.

• Love 1

• 5 months later...

I’ve had food issues forever!

But they have now gone to another level after being sick with COVID again (my daughter just had it)

I also have POTS and suspected MCAS from POTS dr, but can’t take any of the meds for it (I could and did well on them before my booster etc)

Just so everyone knows, this is a very common symptom for POTS patients too, it’s the vagus nerve issue.

Alichino, what is the name so the digestive enzymes you use?

Not sure I can use them, but worth looking at ingredients. 

Thanks

Winnie

[ef...]
I live solely on Falafel and soy. The Falafel has a lot of nutrients and fiber. But yes, it’s horrific-and my entire career was in FOOD! Creulty.

I have trouble after eating too. I'm careful with what I eat to a degree: little to no sugar, clean lean meats or fish, salads, fresh fruit, probiotic yogurt. I had Thai food the other evening for the first time in over a year. I was kinda okay that night, with just a little burning. So the next day I had leftovers for lunch and was in misery for hours. I also took all of my paltry four supplements. I don't know if they put MSG in it or that it was just a bit spicy, although we ordered mild!

For me the burning started after lunch and intensified until dinner. Then it crested and slowly diminished. By burning I mean the skin on my arms and legs and torso felt burned, inside I felt jittery and upset, and zero appetite.

First, the probiotic yogurt helps me. Second, I take a DAO Enzyme before eating lunch and sometimes dinner, and the burning and jitteriness have gone down. I have some sugar-free pudding at night with fruit. It cools my stomach down.

Things do keep getting better. Brick by brick!

I have this so badly. Also noticed if I eat keto it’s slightly better, marginally. My body hates fuel right now it’s already running if it’s own toxic glutamate 24/7. Please tell me this improves.

You have to eat and tolerate some kind of food. If you don't,  your anxiety could increase with that, too.

I would try small portions every few hours.

Maybe some eggs; eggs also help lower cortisol.

You could try some baby food or sugar free pudding.

It worries me when ppl don't eat, because it can cause all sorts of issues.

How about tuna?

Peanut butter...

Eat in small portions. 

As long as you're getting vitamins and proteins, you're fine.

You could also try blending the food up in a blender: easier to digest.

I also recommend laying down and relaxing after eating: "rest and digest".

If you're anxious while digesting, can cause acid and butterflies in the stomach.

Ppl can't go on not eating. This does more harm than good.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have trouble after eating too. I'm careful with what I eat to a degree: little to no sugar, clean lean meats or fish, salads, fresh fruit, probiotic yogurt. I had Thai food the other evening for the first time in over a year. I was kinda okay that night, with just a little burning. So the next day I had leftovers for lunch and was in misery for hours. I also took all of my paltry four supplements. I don't know if they put MSG in it or that it was just a bit spicy, although we ordered mild!

For me the burning started after lunch and intensified until dinner. Then it crested and slowly diminished. By burning I mean the skin on my arms and legs and torso felt burned, inside I felt jittery and upset, and zero appetite.

First, the probiotic yogurt helps me. Second, I take a DAO Enzyme before eating lunch and sometimes dinner, and the burning and jitteriness have gone down. I have some sugar-free pudding at night with fruit. It cools my stomach down.

How are you feeling now with the food sensitivity? And why lean meat instead of high! [saturated fat?

As a result of my setback, I also have these problems after eating. It feels like my body is going into a volcanic eruption, noises, burning in various parts of the body, discomfort, anxiety.

How are you feeling now with the food sensitivity? And why lean meat instead of high! [saturated fat?

Hi,

It's diminishing but still there. Some days, when I keep busy, I hardly notice it. Other days it's unnerving. It starts at 2:30 pm, gets worse around 5:00 and crests at dinner time. Then it gets slowly better. Breakfast is not an issue, although there are many days when my appetite is really low. All sxs have diminished since I posted in December, so that's a big plus. I'm at 8 months post-jump now.

Me too. I ate a banana the other day-a BANANA! Hell for 2+ hours. I’m down to a sz 2. Cranberry juice, once a lifesaver, now sends me off. It’s a nightmare of epic proportions.