Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Do I count the tapering time?

[Bi...]

Hello,

I am new here - so apologies if this is a very basic question, but just want to work it out for measuring how long I've been having the withdrawal.

I started tapering off of the Clonazepam in September 2021, following the Ashton method, and was completely off it in March this year... I had some horrendous waves of DP DR and things during that time which were certainly a lot stronger than I'm getting now (although these ones are still horrible... having a tough time with it at the moment...) but as your brain can potentially start to heal during the tapering process, do I include that when I'm considering how long I've been going through the withdrawal?

Thank you  :)

I'm not sure I completely understand your question. I believe we do start to heal during the tapering process but the way we 'count' days around here is days being benzo free, so since the last day you took your last dose. It just gives us all the same point of reference.

That makes sense - so I can reference I've been off benzos for 3 months, but my brain would have started healing during the tapering process too.

Yes, it would be right to say you're off benzo's for 3 months. I believe our brains are healing during tapering. I don't have any scientific evidence to back it up but logically it just makes sense that your brain is adjusting to less benzos as you're reducing. We see with some members who do a slow taper they could have very little symptoms after jumping.

I hope you keep improving. And congratulations on being benzo free!