Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

help needed with Xanax XR taper

[mr...]

Hi,

I'm 40 years old.

12 year long history with Xanax

I've been on Xanax 0.75 ( 3 x 0.25 ) for around 4 years for insomnia and anxiety, prescribed by primary care physician

Then 8 years ago I was switched on Xanax  XR  0.5 in the evening  ( Misar SR to be precise - generic in  country where I live +  I changed that dosage to 0.75 by taking half of the pill in the morning soon after it )  and AD venlafaxine 37.5 mg in the morning. That was all I used for last 8 years never added more, not one single time.

That combination worked fine for me until a couple of months ago when my girlfriend broke up with me. Anxiety was back and I started seeing psychologist to help me with grieving process and anxiety. Last couple of months  opened my eyes - although everything looked fine on the surface - those drugs changed me, made me emotionally blunt etc....

I want to stop using them . It's highly unlikely I'll find experienced ( in this particular matter )  psychiatrist to help me with. I have support from that psychologist,we work very good on my anxiety. But looks like she doesn't have experience with this kind of stuff.

I started taper 2 weeks ago on my own, cutting half from that morning dose  so it's -1/6 of total dose I was taking for years. First week it went good,almost no withdrawal sideffect , but it's starting to get worse and worse each day. So I'm here for more info ,advices and some support. Thank you for having me

Hello mrgiljotina,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, we are glad you are here!  I'm sorry you've lost your girlfriend recently and are having an uptick in anxiety.  Do you feel able to take on a taper from Xanax right now?  It is best to begin a taper when things are stable in your life.  That said, we can support if you tapering off them feels right for you.  We suggest going slow in tapering off with dose reductions in the 5-10% range every two weeks or so since going slow tends to minimize withdrawl symptoms and allows you to stay functional.  Extended release Xanax can be tricky to taker from and some members choose to switch over to Valium or plain Xanax for this reason.

I've put some links below to get you started.  After looking around, you can start a thread.  Let us know if you have questions or need help.

Again, welcome,

Kate08

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Yes, I kind of rushed into the decision, just decided one morning and started by cutting that morning dosage in half. And yes it seems to me that maybe it's to soon to start it so fast after my 10 years long relationship ended. I think I'm gonna go back to my 'original' dosage , address some of the issues  that popped up during last two weeks with my psychologist , prepare myself better for this adventure , maybe even I'll be lucky enough to find doctor willing to work with me on this. Psychiatrist I'm  currently with should have retired years ago ,he has  just be filling in  my prescription last couple of years

mrgiljotina, I am currently tapering from Xanax XR.  I am so sorry about your break up and wish you the best with that.  I just don't understand your post (benzo brain) and how you are cutting the Xanax XR in half?  If that is even what you said?  Can you clarify how much Xanax XR you are currently taking and at what times? 

That is if you are ready to taper, I know you said you may go back to your original dose. 

Yes, I kind of rushed into the decision, just decided one morning and started by cutting that morning dosage in half. And yes it seems to me that maybe it's to soon to start it so fast after my 10 years long relationship ended. I think I'm gonna go back to my 'original' dosage , address some of the issues  that popped up during last two weeks with my psychologist , prepare myself better for this adventure , maybe even I'll be lucky enough to find doctor willing to work with me on this. Psychiatrist I'm  currently with should have retired years ago ,he has  just be filling in  my prescription last couple of years

Oh boy, are you thinking clearly mrgiljotina!  Slowing down, doing some research here and elsewhere, and coming up with at solid plan to taper off will serve you very well.  Well done and I wish you all the best!!

mrgiljotina, I am currently tapering from Xanax XR.  I am so sorry about your break up and wish you the best with that.  I just don't understand your post (benzo brain) and how you are cutting the Xanax XR in half?  If that is even what you said?  Can you clarify how much Xanax XR you are currently taking and at what times? 

That is if you are ready to taper, I know you said you may go back to your original dose.

Yes I've been cutting them in half for 8 years now. Psychiatrist that prescribed them first wanted to start me on 1mg in the evening. I was too sleepy during the day from that dose and  after a couple of days I gave him a call what to do. He said it's probably too much for me and to cut that in half with a sharp knife and see how it will go. It was OK so on my next visit after 15 or so days  he gave me prescription for 0.5 mg pills. Soon AD was added , and I started to feel 'overexcited' during a day and I helped myself with taking  half of that 0.5 pill little bit  before I take AD. So it added up to 0.75 mg a day and it worked fine over the years.  It's not Xanax XR but generic version called Misar SR and it's used mostly in Eastern Europe ( ex Yugoslavi countries ). I just checked instructions for use I get with every box and there is no mention that pills are not to be cut , but also they don't have that line that should make cutting easier.

And as I said I started to taper from it 2 weeks ago by taking out half of that half of pill I've been taking in the morning ( so last 2 weeks I've been taking around 0.62 mg) .Now I see ( and feel ) that was to much to start with and whole tapering thing needs better preparation. I hope I explained it better now

Yes, I understand a bit better now, thanks for the clarification.  You said it's not Xanax XR (which can't be cut in half), but Misar SR- If it doesn't have a score in the center, is probably not supposed to be cut in half.  If you do cut Xanax XR in half, it won't work the way it's intended.  However, I have zero idea what this mediation is and never heard of it before you telling me about it. You would know it best and know how it works for you especially since you have been cutting them in half for 8 years.  My guess is they are working like regular Xanax since you are cutting them. 

Since they are XR or SR pills, I don't think they will dissolve in water for a titration taper.  I am definitely not an expert, I am tapering from Xanax XR by slowly crossing over to Valium (longer half life and much easier to taper from).  Perhaps you can do some research on crossing over to a longer acting Benzo and then tapering from there? 

I am sure others on this board have much more insight then I do about this topic. 

In the mean time, I would just do lots of research before you taper again.

I wish you all the Best!

Thank you all for advice and support.

Now that I've experienced how much it can hurt both mentally an physically if done in a wrong way , or your body just reacts the way it has to, I see that I have to prepare  myself first for any possible outcome,  strengthen both my mind and body for anything that could come across my path in completing taper and recovering after it

Can you build up a tolerance to benzos, where no matter what you take they don't  work i was on 2 milligrams  a day doesn't seem to work that well anymore I'm afraid to taper till i get stable