Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Long-Term user of 2mg of Xanax only taken at night

[hr...]

I've been taking Xanax off and on for the past 10 years due to panic attacks and difficulty sleeping. My doctor would switch me every two years from 1mg of xanax to 20mg of Diazepam. During Covid, with the stress of my job, I started using 2mg of Xanax, again only at night, with the support of my doctor. Long story short, my long term employer switched our health insurance and I was forced to see a different doctor. This new doctor told me that she would not support my xanax use and put me on a very aggressive tapering plan. She wouldn't listen to me at all when I told her that the tapering plan was too fast and she refused to incorporate Diazepam to help me with the withdrawls. Per her instructions, I reduced from 2mg to 1.50 mg and it was pure hell the 1st three nights. Severe withdrawls. I decided to add back .25mg and the withdrawls became tolerable. I then decided to contact my previous doctor and paid cash to see her. She agreed to incorporate Diazepam according to the Ashton Manual. Here's my question and confusion.... the Ashton Manual states to take the benzos three times a day, but I only take it at night. How do I slowly add in Diazepam if I only take it at night? I really don't want to start taking these pills during the day because I have a very high functioning job and I've never once taken pills during the day. Any tapering ideas and/or switching to Diazepam ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hi hrmadtown!

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Gosh, you’ve had a pretty rough time, but I’m so glad you were able to contact your previous provider to taper at your own pace. Hopefully being in control of your taper should help you remain functional. We generally recommend a reduction of 5-10% of your current dose over two weeks or so, but it’s best to allow your symptoms to dictate your taper rate.

I’m sure we could help you with substituting your Xanax for Valium with a single dose only. I suggest you post your question to the Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper) board, where more members will give you input.

For support on withdrawal symptoms you can ask here: Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Please also Add your history/signature, as that will assist members in answering your questions.

Have a look around and start posting when you’re ready.

I'm having a very difficult time dry cutting and using a digital scale. I want to quarter a .5mg tablet and I not sure how to read it correctly on the scale.