Long Time Absentee! Just a howdy and update…

[Ci...]

Hi everyone and a special hi to alllll the friends that I see are still here! I hope you are all doing well and making progress.

I am still at 0.325 Clonazepam per day. I did well on my taper and have a doc who has been quite supportive with a patient-led taper (although he is predisposed to doing ZERO work, so his hands off approach might just be utter LAZINESS.  😎) Whatever!

I had to stop my taper because my chronic hypothyroidism kicked me in the a** starting around Oct 2021. By Feb 2022 my numbers were critical and, of course, since it is “thyroid” no one thought it was serious. I held onto my last consulting contract through March and then suddenly became retired. Not on purpose. So….I have had a long, long hold on tapering the benzo. I don’t anticipate changing that until I have the thyroid back under control and am able to get through my days without being comatose and in pain. I am on the way! I will DO THIS!

I was thinking of you all for a number of reasons - was wondering how you all are doing and eager to hear your progress. I also wanted to say thank you for the many experienced people who gave me such great counsel. Especially, your advice to take personal responsibility for tapering the benzo has also been a much needed blueprint for addressing the “cliff dive” of hypothyroid symptoms and getting QUALIFIED medical help. (Good Lord there is SOOOO much crazy, dangerous “medical” advice out there. One bad decision to trust the quacko wacko doctor of a friend darn near killed me - or at least it felt like it.) Without the memory of you guys whispering in my ear, I am not sure I would still be here.

So a HUGE thank you for all you do to help this community and know your help flows over into other realms as well.

Love ❤️

CioCioSan

Its wonderful to see you again but I'm sorry to hear you've had thyroid problems.  I have to tell you though, I love that you're so empowered, you advocate for yourself and this is what we all need to do.  And if we don't need it for ourselves then we need to do it for our family and friends when we feel they're getting questionable advice.  None of us are infallible, even doctors so its our responsibility to make sure we feel good about our care.

You're wise to hold your taper, making allowances for life events is the exact right thing to do.  I hope you can get your thyroid back under control soon.

Great to see you here!  You've made great progress with your taper but holding until things are straightened out with your health is prudent.  I've been hyper and hypothyroid and both make you feel terrible!  You are wise CioCioSan.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind responses Pamster and Kate08! It is so good to “hear your voices.” This journey is indeed difficult, lots of twists and turns. If I have learned anything, it is patience. Loads and loads of patience. And cultivation of a healthy skepticism of medical professional along with a keen nose for quackery. Developing an appreciation of how important it is to trust your gut is also a key skill. I am struggling still, but from a benzo perspective, I am feeling sooooo much better. I can think again (although I still have memory issues) and I don’t live in a fog. I want this taper and whatever happens after that to be over and done with - getting back to my core self, but you all taught me very well that a slow taper that maintains and improves functional capacity is key to success.

Thanks again, everyone!