Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Clonazepam Dry Cut Advice

[go...]

Current dose is 1.5 mg/day. .5 mg in the morning and 1 mg at night. I've been doing the cut and hold method by cutting .125mg ODT tabs. Need to go slower and need to start reducing that night time dose.

Should I start shaving down the 1 mg tabs I already take or would it be easier to switch to two .5 tabs at night and cut those down one by one?

I realize it comes down to preference but I worry when I reach .5 mg at night and then I want to work on my morning dose, I'll be giving myself extra work by having to shave down the night and day dose. Whereas the two .5 tabs allows me to stop once I'm ready to jump to .5 mg at night.

Also, I'm kind of fuzzy on the math. Does someone have a calculation that inputs tablet weight, strength and how much to shave off if wanting to reduce by X? Thanks :)

So you're currently on a combination of 1 mg and .125 mg tablets?  It's usually a good idea if you can to get the smaller mg pills to aid in tapering if your doctor is willing to prescribe.

So you're currently on a combination of 1 mg and .125 mg tablets?  It's usually a good idea if you can to get the smaller mg pills to aid in tapering if your doctor is willing to prescribe.

Current dose is 1.5 mg/day, so just a combination of 1 mg and .5 mg tabs. .5 mg in the morning and 1 mg at night. So you think I should switch that 1 mg tab to two .5 mg tabs at night?

See if you can get .125 tabs OD. It has helped me b/c I cut them into 4 with razor and can then do cuts of .03125

See if you can get .125 tabs OD. It has helped me b/c I cut them into 4 with razor and can then do cuts of .03125

I can. I used .125 mg ODT's to get where I am. Started with Sun but couldn't get those anymore. Switched to Par which is a lot smaller but I was able to cut evenly into two. Doc allowed me to cut and toss the half I didn't use.

Were you not concerned the air/moisture would affect the potency by cutting them into fours?

I can. I used .125 mg ODT's to get where I am. Started with Sun but couldn't get those anymore. Switched to Par which is a lot smaller but I was able to cut evenly into two. Doc allowed me to cut and toss the half I didn't use.

Were you not concerned the air/moisture would affect the potency by cutting them into fours?

ODTs from some manufacturers (e.g Par, Teva but not Sun) come in special packaging (each ODT is sealed in its own foil packet). The special packaging is required because these ODTs are hygroscopic — i.e. they absorb moisture from the air.  This additional moisture can cause the ODTs to begin to disintegrate (as well as increase in weight). However, this should not affect the potency of the ODT (i.e. the amount of active drug substance present).

ODTs from some manufacturers (e.g Par, Teva but not Sun) come in special packaging (each ODT is sealed in its own foil packet). The special packaging is required because these ODTs are hygroscopic — i.e. they absorb moisture from the air.  This additional moisture can cause the ODTs to begin to disintegrate (as well as increase in weight). However, this should not affect the potency of the ODT (i.e. the amount of active drug substance present).

Its good to know this shouldn't affect potency, I wonder if for peace of mind it would help to use humidifier packets like Boveda?