Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Acceptance

I have read many posts in which we come to terms with the symptoms as just that--symptoms.  I am beginning to accept that my symptoms are part of my full recovery.  They are not caused by my work, my husband, the weather, or even impending things that I dread.  Things that I dread I always have dreaded.  Nothing new there.  So I accept that symptoms are part of healing.  Like all of us, I am waiting to exhale, and this may take longer than I want.  But time I do have--grateful for that.  I am grateful also that I have windows.  Also, I am enjoying my life in spite of the benzo beast.  I have continued to building through this nightmare so that I have something at the end of it.  I even married before I had finished my taper.  So glad that I did.  I can share the misery of symptoms and the joy of windows. 

Acceptance is indeed very beneficial in giving us the strength to endure the withdrawal symptoms.  It is rather simple in nature, but it isn't easy in practice if that makes sense.  I find that it works better with some symptoms more than others.  I found it a little harder to accept mental symptoms because when you are depressed/anxious it messes with your ability to accept.

We can choose to spend our time excessively worrying about the headache we are having, the tingling in our hands, or the myriad of other symptoms that plague us... or we can learn to live side by side with our symptoms like unwanted roommates until they leave.  The more attention we give the symptoms the more they dominate our lives and increase in intensity. I still have a lot of practice before I get where I want to be in regards to acceptance, but I do know that it does help. It is a habit that needs to be learned and that may take awhile.

It is wonderful that you managed to get married while going through a taper.  I really admire you strength :thumbsup: If you are capable of doing that while tapering just think of how you will be once you are fully healed.

Hi Jennie,

Its good to see you, and that you're talking about acceptance, this is so important.  I wish I would have had half the wisdom I see from you and so many other buddies.  I'm so glad you're continuing to build your life, even though you're not quite where you want to be yet, it's coming Jennie.

Pam