Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

What is causing this fear

[Re...]

I am having continuous fear everyday.What causes this fear that makes me not want to leave my house or do the things I enjoyed doing before? I get this fear and feel like I can’t go to Church or keep my grandchildren. I was on 2mg of Valium and tapered to 1mg 5 times out of 30 days. I tapered 1 mg two days straight and I have had this fear that won’t go away. I am now just taking 2 mg  until I get my Dr. advice what to do next.Does anyone know what is causing this fear ?

Redbird,

I am sorry you are going through this.  A sense of fear, impending doom, random terror --- all of these are hallmarks of benzo withdrawal.  The fear is generated by a limbic system (your stress response system) malfunctioning as your brain is trying to adapt (neuro-adaptation) to its existence without the medication.  When the limbic system is not working properly (and one reason for this is that the limbic system is LOADED with GABA-A receptors, which is the receptor that is down-regulated over time as we ingest a benzo -- when you try to remove the benzo it takes time, sometimes a very long time, for those receptors to heal......as a result you have free floating GABA - your bodies natural calming neurotransmitter -- with no receptor to bind too thus we feel afraid.  In addition, our glutamate is out of balance and glutamate is our excitatory neurotransmitter-- it is supposed to work in concert with GABA - so that whole mechanism is off).  So in your limbic system you have what is called your amygdala, which is the part of the brain that acts like a fire alarm -- in benzo withdrawal, this fire alarm keeps sounding and we continue to feel DANGER where none exists. 

in time, things will settle - but this is a very brief explanation of why you might be experiencing fear at this time. 

Redbird, I had the fear thing also.  Getting completely off benzos was the cure for me.  I now know that I was in a constant state of withdrawl because even when I took my dose, it had mostly quit working for me.  Once I was off benzos and had just a little bit of time under my belt, I began to notice that I could do things without shaking in my boots - like driving on the freeway and going in crowded public places.  My world had become very small but now that I am off for almost two years, I can go anywhere I want to without the terrible angst I used to have.